New here, looking for advice on a setup

MrGremlinMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got a 10 gallon tank that I plan to make into a pond ecosystem with scuds, daphnia, seed shrimp, snails, and I'm hoping to add a newt species. Temperature will be 60 to 70, amd I'm hoping to hardly have to feed, but I'm okay with some supplemental feedings. I'm new to newts in general so I'm not sure what species is best suited. Any advice?

I've got a 10 gallon tank that I plan to make into a pond ecosystem with scuds, daphnia, seed shrimp, snails, and I'm hoping to add a newt species. Temperature will be 60 to 70, amd I'm hoping to hardly have to feed, but I'm okay with some supplemental feedings. I'm new to newts in general so I'm not sure what species is best suited. Any advice?
Keep it at that range lower in that range is better, get a pair of Notomphalmus Viridesens and supplement feed bloodworms once a week. I’ve never kept newts, this is just what I’ve gathered from research and other threads. PLEASE, IF IM WRONG CORRECT ME!!! I don’t want to promote in correct care. Good luck on a set up, and welcome to the community!

Eastern newts were one I have kept actually. We kept them in tanks at a campground I went to. We had a site we could go to all summer, so we spent literally all summer there. I actually saw a pair breed and found d a baby, but noticed that they tend to want land a lot. I'd rather not have to put a prominent t land area. Would some floating parrots feather work?or are there other species I could try?
I've done some research and paddle tail newts and spanish ribbed seem like possible good fits but I'm not sure if they're big enough that they'd decimate my other inhabitants entirely.

Last edited:
Eastern newts were one I have kept actually. We kept them in tanks at a campground I went to. We had a site we could go to all summer, so we spent literally all summer there. I actually saw a pair breed and found d a baby, but noticed that they tend to want land a lot. I'd rather not have to put a prominent t land area. Would some floating parrots feather work?or are there other species I could try?
I've done some research and paddle tail newts and spanish ribbed seem like possible good fits but I'm not sure if they're big enough that they'd decimate my other inhabitants entirely.
Many species of newt from all around the world would work well, I can’t refer you to one specifically sadly.
The draw to land may have been cause you were keeping juveniles, which undergo a hefty land stage like all newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back