New light has killed my beloved Axolotl, other is critical - please help!

Jordan9364

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel absolutely awful and stupid. The light above my Axolotl's tank had gone out after many years, never had a different one. Searched tirelessly on the internet for one that looked exactly the same, even the same make - Arcadia. To my horror, this new light has killed my precious Axolotl Alex; the other - Sid, is now in a separate container, critical but seems to be stabilising.
I'll never forgive myself, the light is obviously not the correct one and it's far too harsh - not suitable at all, although from an aquatics shop? And actually dimmer than the previous light.
Could anyone please tell me what has happened here. I can't think straight I'm furious I let this happen.
PLEASE give any advice to help Sid recover, he's leucistic - but his colour is now off and darker, skin seems to be flaking slightly from the horrible light. I've put him in cooler water from reading online, his gills are moving once every 10 seconds at the moment
Thank you all 😰

Sorry to hear that you're going through this.

Did you test water parameters? Did anything else change with the environment or diet? I also think it's important to really examine whether it was the light.

That said, though, some Arcadia lights are stronger than others. I use a variety of their lights for my reptiles. Do you know exactly which bulb you have and how strong it is?

Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back