Not eating-air coming out of him

Melina

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello!

Last week I moved my axolotls into a bigger tank, everything seemed fine and they all got there save. Tho I went to feed them 2 days after the transport and only 1 of them ate, I thought it’s because off stress.. but today I went to feed them again and all of them ate except one, he was also „throwing up“ air out of him.. he seems like his normal self and I don’t know if it’s the move,the water or anything else because I checked the temperatures and ph,etc.. and it’s perfect as I know (I checked on an axolotl tank water test thingy website) so I’m not sure, right now we are giving him many options to eat.. we gave him Canadian worms, red worms, earth worms and pellets tho he won’t eat anything!
Any suggestions?

what are your water parameters?
are there any air-stones installed?
is there any substrate?
different websites etc.. tend to have different ideas of good water parameters, some over cautious and some quite liberal.
the air burping is a sign of surface gulping, this can be due to low water oxygen or bad water parameters.
if you have sand as substrate make sure to go through it prior to a water change, debris and gas can build up so when an axolotl digs through it they get a face full.
try bloodworm as it seems to be an axolotl favourite.

is there any substrate?
different websites etc.. tend to have different ideas of good water parameters, some over cautious and some quite liberal.
the air burping is a sign of surface gulping, this can be due to low water oxygen or bad water parameters.
if you have sand as substrate make sure to go through it prior to a water change, debris and gas can build up so when an axolotl digs through it they get a face full.
NO3 = 25
NO2 = 0
GH = 6-10
KH = 6
PH = 7.6
CL2 = 0.8

I just noticed it’s very different than how I tested it before I put them in the water.. I think it’s the parameters then. Also, I’m not sure what air-stone are, tho I will Google after this. There’s sand which is 0-1 mm and we also went trough it so no gas.

is there any substrate?
The water tester is very different from any others so it might be hard..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
ideally a liquid test is better to use than stick tests (liquid tests are more accurate) plus most sets contain ammonia tests which are quite important, your kh is good, your gh at 6-10 is moderate, your nitrates are moderate (good if done just before water change), shouldn't be any traces of chlorine (make sure water dechlorinated before adding)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back