Not sure what is wrong with my son's axolotls.

Anita&Hudson

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Can I please have some advice on how to treat my son's two axolotls. Pictures are posted below. They are about 3 years old, and in separate tanks. My son is usually quite good at looking after them, but had slacked off a bit recently. We noticed that the black one had a white spot on her head and the gold one had something on his chin. We put the animals into smaller tanks and tried a salt bath, but my son was distressed by the animal's distressed and did not want to proceed with that. So we have just been doing 100% water changes daily. This does not appear to have helped. In fact the animals now look much worse. They are both still eating. Pictures are below axel 2.jpegdeadpool3 (2).jpegdeadpool2 (2).jpegaxel 1 (2).JPG

Can I please have some advice on how to treat my son's two axolotls. Pictures are posted below. They are about 3 years old, and in separate tanks. My son is usually quite good at looking after them, but had slacked off a bit recently. We noticed that the black one had a white spot on her head and the gold one had something on his chin. We put the animals into smaller tanks and tried a salt bath, but my son was distressed by the animal's distressed and did not want to proceed with that. So we have just been doing 100% water changes daily. This does not appear to have helped. In fact the animals now look much worse. They are both still eating. Pictures are below View attachment 95639View attachment 95640View attachment 95641View attachment 95642
what are your parameters?
the golden appears to have a skin tag, likely from cutting themselves on something- but i can't be sure without clearer pictures.
the white spot on the melanoid's eye is more concerning. i strongly recommend you seek veterinary advice.
until then- keep them tubbed in separate containers, i use a large tubberware container. start daily tea baths, and invest in some methelyene blue (which can be found in most aquarium stores) to treat any possible infection + soothe the skin from the salt baths. i would not recommend treating with salt baths unless you definitely know what you're dealing with.
again, clearer pictures and your parameters would be very helpful here

Other than the white spot on the head, the black one has a problem on at least one eye.
You said you do 100% water change daily.
Is the new water chlorine- and chloramine-free ?

I would not do 100% water changes even if your dechlorinating it. Tap water can come out at one pH level and then settle to a very different pH level after a day or more.

My tap water comes out at 8.4 but settles to 7.5 after a day. If you have a big pH difference like that and do a water change that is 50% or more, that can cause pH shock and cause a lot of stress and cause animals to lose their slime coat.

Test your pH from the tap and in your tank. Only do 1/3 to 1/2 water changes depending on the pH levels.

whilst your axolotls are tubbed the water will need to be changed daily to prevent ammonia build up, dechlorinate water before hand.
the white spot isn't unusual on mels, the fungal growth on the eye needs to be dealt with, the skin tag on your gold/albino could be due to injury but seems to be healed.
have them tubbed in water with slight salinity (ie.. 3.5g/l reduce to 2g/l once fungus gone) make sure salt is dissolved into water before use.

Salt baths have a lot of pros and cons to them. Tea baths are more recommended than salt baths. As wolfen said, your axolotl may be injured so a salt bath would do worse. You could also try methylene blue baths.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back