Number of axolotl - rescues

cbreeze

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a friend and whenever some brings in any sort of water animal in needs she calls me, so I am rather new to axolotls. Before I went to get it I did all my research and set up a 10 gallon tank for it, with everything it needed. It was in terrible shape, really really skinny and had only 1 leg. It is now fat and sassy with 4 legs and is doing great. My problem is that a second one, and now a 3rd one needs rescue. I have the first 2 and they are just fine together, but I am afraid to add this 3rd one. They are all juvenile, all about the same size. What do you think?

I'd say you need more tanks - at the very least you need to quarantine these new ones for a month before putting them in a mixed tank.

You might be able to pick up a cheap tank or 2 2nd hand on eBay, Craigslist or whatever system you have locally.

Ideally you want 20gal for one axie, and then 10 more for each extra. So for 3 you'd need a 40 gallon tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back