Planted tank?

Nickert

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

I have a 40 gal with 3 axolotls, an over the back aqueon filter, led lights and a fan to cool the water. I've been having trouble keeping the plants alive due to the cold temperatures. Any tips on what parameters/substrate/temp I should have? My water usually hovers around 63-65 F. What kinds of plants could I use?

It may not be the cold temperatures since plants can grow, just very slowly in cold temperatures given they have proper nutrients. I'm guessing you have a sand substrate since you have plants - you need to dose the water with fertilizers (micro) and or NPK macros depending on your need. Some plants also need CO2, which you can get from a CO2 regulator system which is pricey, or a cheap bottle of Glutaraldehyde by seachem which is another source of Carbon, not CO2.

Basically your substrate is inert and not enough nutrients for the plants to grow if any.

What plants are you keeping? Some survive better than others in cooler temps. I've got hairgrass, java ferns and anubias that do well. Have a light on a couple of hours a day (and plenty of dark spots for your axies).
This article has lots of info for you https://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Aquascape.shtml
Is your substrate sand and/or aqua soil?
I've seen a bit of debate on here about aquatic plant additives (the bottled kind), whether it is okay to use with axolotls. I haven't used it myself so can't really say anything about it but if you go that route make sure you research it thoroughly :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back