PLEASE HELP! Axolotl won't close its mouth and isn't eating

tarapreston

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there, My axolotl won't close her mouth! I fridged her until she pooped and she still isn't eating. Its been 2 days since I reintroduced her into the tank. and she was fridged for 5 days. I don't know what to do, or if this is normal and I never really noticed it? Her tank-mate has been eating fine. Any advice would be great thank you!! I am getting worried about her.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 2.22.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 2.22.09 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,082
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 2.22.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 2.22.04 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 517
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 2.20.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 2.20.29 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 456
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 2.20.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 2.20.36 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,376
Problems like these are difficult to treat. Prevention is better than cure. A fish tank without plants with a sandy bottom is asking for problems. In the sand (which has a low or no oxygen content) harmful bacteria develop and can end up in the stomach during feeding. When this happens it is often fatal.
The higher the water temperature, the greater the risk. So the warmer the water, the cleaner it must be. Feed with a stick then they will not get sand or gravel in their stomach. Axos, like all amphibians, are very sensitive to fungi and bacteria. The image that you often see plastic houses and plants in a further bare container with a simple air pump for filtering is not how it should be.
Hopefully for your animal it will still end well.

Problems like these are difficult to treat. Prevention is better than cure. A fish tank without plants with a sandy bottom is asking for problems. In the sand (which has a low or no oxygen content) harmful bacteria develop and can end up in the stomach during feeding. When this happens it is often fatal.
The higher the water temperature, the greater the risk. So the warmer the water, the cleaner it must be. Feed with a stick then they will not get sand or gravel in their stomach. Axos, like all amphibians, are very sensitive to fungi and bacteria. The image that you often see plastic houses and plants in a further bare container with a simple air pump for filtering is not how it should be.
Hopefully for your animal it will still end well.
I have two live plants in the tank, and an air stone, I have two filters running, an internal and the one as shown in the photo. Should I remove any plastic I have in the tank? All the research I have done regarding tank set-up for axolotls include minimal decorations. I also feed using tongs or a glass dish when they get meal worms. Is there anything else I can do to help with this?

Last edited:
Well you're doing pretty well then. Can also be bad luck. I recognize the disease from when I was still breeding with these animals. Symptoms were deadly
Hopefully someone will respond who has a cure for this

Im taking her to the vet tomorrow, so hopefully they'll be able to help. Do you know if this disease can transmit to other axolotls?

Hi I’m going through something similar rn with my female axolotl (just posted about it) and I’m also on the fence of going to the vet. Please update once the vet visit goes if you can! :)

Hey so the vet said it was most likely an bacterial infection. I didn't get an X-ray done but that was suggested. She's getting antibiotic baths for 12 hours a day to try to fit the infection. I would take yours to the vet because the vet thinks I caught my axolotls infection early before it permanently messed up her jaw.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back