pond setup ideas

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ren
today i got to visit the gathering place in tulsa and look at a gorgeous koi pond.
i think that with some modifications this could be a great setup for an axolotl pond, and wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20221028_142731025.jpg
    IMG_20221028_142731025.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 519
  • IMG_20221028_142729652.jpg
    IMG_20221028_142729652.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20221028_141055_932.jpg
    IMG_20221028_141055_932.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20221028_141231641.jpg
    IMG_20221028_141231641.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
Hi,
In my opinion, this type of setup would be great for axolotls, providing there are neither fishes (no kois) nor herons.

Now, the temperatures could be more problematic (search for "Tulsa climat" and "Mexico climat" and compare the charts),.
Lower winter and higher summer temperatures in Oklahoma than in Mexico.

I have a similar project (within 2 years) but I live in a more temperate area, where I know axolotl can successfully undergo winter outdoors.

Last edited:
Hi,
In my opinion, this type of setup would be great for axolotls, providing there are neither fishes (no kois) nor herons.

Now, the temperatures could be more problematic (search for "Tulsa climat" and "Mexico climat" and compare the charts),.
Lower winter and higher summer temperatures in Oklahoma than in Mexico.

I have a similar project (within 2 years) but I live in a more temperate area, where I know axolotl can successfully undergo winter outdoors.
yes, if i were to build an axolotl pond it would be species-only, save for possibly a few snails or other creatures that might sneak in via plants. as for the herons (and any other predatory animals) i would have to either have a "scarecrow" of sorts or some kind of netting//cover.
temperature has been a big consideration in all of this, i've written about it some in my thread titled "sanctuary + breeding facility."
i would go about temperature regulation by having deeper water, lots of shade from surrounding terrestrial plants, as well as free floating plants in the pond itself. obviously, this doesn't account for extremely hot temperatures, in which case i would likely need to round up all the axolotls and house them in temporary tubs such as the one pictured below:
1667060719288.png

this would also be a good opportunity to check over all the animals and record any growth, injuries, illnesses, or other changes. i plan on doing this a few times a year either way.
winters, i think, should be much easier to deal with. i've read that axolotls can do fine under ice, and i would probably install a heater during especially hot days. again, if the weather proves too extreme, i would collect all the animals and tub them until things return to normalcy.

i'll include more pictures of pond setups i like in another post, with commentary on what i would change to optimize it for axolotls.

thanks for the read and reply,

-ren

91319-6ca2f51f5ed759239087a0c348c7b754.jpg

i feel this could be successful for a smaller pond, though for temperature regulations i would likely stack two tires to add depth.

91320-c22fdd50ddd0147888d02ae2cc6d2da8.jpg

this one is deeper, which is beneficial for temperature, and the wooden platform next to it would be useful for both casual observation as well as somewhere to place various objects while working on maintenance.

E51D08C6-4136-4F36-BC43-E4C549E1AA91.jpeg

this would likely be a pond intended for juveniles to grow up in, and would also be very near the house, likely on the back porch. the waterfall feature would also not be included, due to added flow.

331560967_31c0b11a5b_b.jpg

this is an example of a possible protection system i could implement in order to keep the axolotls safe from local predators.

i'd also like to make note that i would most likely construct the pond out of concrete, and i'm interested to hear your thoughts on this idea.

before you decide to invest in situating them in a pond check local laws as axolotls are an invasive species and escaped axolotls can cause damage to local wildlife.

before you decide to invest in situating them in a pond check local laws as axolotls are an invasive species and escaped axolotls can cause damage to local wildlife.
duly noted. thanks for the insight :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back