Prolapse or Just Paranoid

lemontheaxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I figured I’d introduce myself a bit later due to being a bit stressed about the situation but there is something up with Lemon’s cloaca! Lemon has always been “well-endowed” in the cloacal department but now I have seen growth and swelling around his vent area. He is eating his meals regularly (pellets and worms), is acting normally and is not constipated (no floating or visible discomfort, plus he’s able to poo). His water parameters are AM: 0 NI: 0 NA: 10 - he’s been like this for a couple days and I’m concerned it could possibly be prolapse. What’s stopping me from making that my true assumption is that nothing is exiting his cloacal region (intestine-wise). I’m going to the vet on Thursday just to check but I wanted some additional insight!
27629825-5844-485A-979C-79015371FB19.jpeg
ECF3028C-2E95-472E-9212-8565C530D81B.jpeg

that does look like a fluid filled prolapse which will require osmotic treatment prior to reinsertion.

that does look like a fluid filled prolapse which will require osmotic treatment prior to reinsertion.
Hi! Just took him to the vet and they said that there was no evidence of a prolapse thankfully. They think it might be him becoming sexually active due to it being breeding season and the sperm comes being produced in the tank! When they did the exam they found nothing worrying. Phew!

by the age of your axolotl and by the way the cloaca is hanging under him please keep an eye on him to make sure it doesn't swell up more.

by the age of your axolotl and by the way the cloaca is hanging under him please keep an eye on him to make sure it doesn't swell up more.
Absolutely. I am still concerned and am keeping an eye on the swelling and his attitude for now. Might run him a tea bath at some point! For now he’s his happy self, eating and being playful :)

tea baths have been shown to help with fungus and the caffeine can be used with lethargy but a tea bath wont assist where there is possible fluid build up.
for possible fluid build up the first thing is to ensure that the water has salt and minerals, next would be to use a sugar paste/solution to draw fluid out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back