Illness/Sickness: Red blister on tail???

matthewC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

A while ago I noticed what looked like a small blister-esque type swell on my axolotls tail. I posted something online and people said it's probably a bite and it'll heal.

It's started to go red and it seems my axie it having troubles swimming as straight as before. He(?) seems to be eating the same but I'm worried it's bad or could become bad...

I wonder if anyone could see if they've been in a same situation?

My thanks,

Matthew

( pictures are around two weeks apart )

Attachments

• IMG_20151113_171511.jpg
    IMG_20151113_171511.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20151201_180149.jpg
    IMG_20151201_180149.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 159
Try posting some more current pictures which aren't so blurred. It does seem to be damage to the tail from either a bite or catching it on something in the tank, but you never know.

Another thing I would ask is: Do you test your water for Ammonia, Nitrites, NitrAtes, and PH? And are you aware of the Nitrogen cycle ?

Try posting some more current pictures which aren't so blurred. It does seem to be damage to the tail from either a bite or catching it on something in the tank, but you never know.

Another thing I would ask is: Do you test your water for Ammonia, Nitrites, NitrAtes, and PH? And are you aware of the Nitrogen cycle ?

Sorry - I'll get some when my dad gets home ( better camera ). I am aware and I've just done a recent test. Levels slightly higher than they should have been but I'm working in cycling it to get it better. I don't want to remove too much water at once... Do nitiries, ammonia affect this in this context?

Your tanks water quality is one of the most important factors to keep your Axolotl healthy. Cycling is a natural process, for your tank to be cycled, a beneficial bacteria needs to be present to break down the Ammonia and Nitrites into NitrAtes. Ammonia and Nitrites are lethal to Axolotl and are produced from your Axolotls waste and decomposing food. NitrAtes are a less toxic by product. During cycling the beneficial bacteria will colonize your tanks surfaces such as substrate, ornaments, filter, and begin to feed on the Ammonia turning it into Nitrites, then bacteria will break down the Nitrites into NitrAtes. The bacteria is known as a biofilter, as it filters the Ammonia and Nitrites into less harmful NitrAtes.

What were your test results?
Do you use a liquid test kit?

To fully understand the nitrogen cycle read these links:
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle

Its important to take on board how the water quality affects your Axolotl, Ammonia and Nitrites in even small concentrations are toxic to your Axolotl and can cause a number of health issues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1
    Back