Ribbed Newt Eggs? Infertile?

Dragona

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I have a Pleurodeles waltl that I WAS 99% sure was a male...but I've woken up to a hundred little eggs in the tank!
I keep this newt entirely by itself. I got it about 10 months ago; upon purchase it was very young and impossible to sex, and most definitely not breeding age. So it's never been around any other newts of any gender ever since.
I'm also pretty sure I see a few spermatophores in the tank.
How can this be?
My ONLY guesses are that this lady had held on to some male's sperm from before I purchased her and is just now, nearly a year later, releasing these eggs. Or it's intersex and is impregnating itself. Both are pretty far fetched.
I am so confused. Is there a way to tell if these eggs are viable? Do they even lay infertile eggs? What is going on lol. Thank you!

Hello! I have a Pleurodeles waltl that I WAS 99% sure was a male...but I've woken up to a hundred little eggs in the tank!
I keep this newt entirely by itself. I got it about 10 months ago; upon purchase it was very young and impossible to sex, and most definitely not breeding age. So it's never been around any other newts of any gender ever since.
I'm also pretty sure I see a few spermatophores in the tank.
How can this be?
My ONLY guesses are that this lady had held on to some male's sperm from before I purchased her and is just now, nearly a year later, releasing these eggs. Or it's intersex and is impregnating itself. Both are pretty far fetched.
I am so confused. Is there a way to tell if these eggs are viable? Do they even lay infertile eggs? What is going on lol. Thank you!
Females can retain sperm in cloaca for up to 5 months according to internet sources. If 5 months maybe 10. If you want a male let me know. I have lots of extra male leucistic ribbed newts that need to go.

Oh, that would be lovely! I'd definitely be interested in snagging a male.
Females can retain sperm in cloaca for up to 5 months according to internet sources. If 5 months maybe 10. If you want a male let me know. I have lots of extra male leucistic ribbed newts that need to go.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back