Seperating a 40 gallon aquarium?

WasabiThumbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys! Long time no see. I've been wanting to separate my 40 gallon tank for a while now. I just don't want to take any risks when adding another axolotl, at least for the first few days and I think that it's worth getting something to separate it in half. Initially against the DIY route since I don't have access to many tools, I went out searching for products and got confused very quickly. So many of them have indecisive reviews, concerns about dissolving in water, unclear dimensions etc. It was confusing me to the point where I decided to make this thread. Basically, if any of you guys have experience with separating tanks (specifically 40 gallon) I would love to hear your input. If your method produces a clear barrier, I give you extra points! :)

Hi,
I've never separated axolotls but I once had to separate Betta fish.
Since I didn't want to make a permanent separation, I used :
- a glass plate of the interior dimensions of the tank (not always the most easy thing),
- 4 little succion cups (the model for fixing aquarium heating) to wedge the glass plate fermly in a vertical position.
For axolotls, which can be much more powerful than a Betta, I suggest to use 8 succion cups.

That being said, I never use filters nor pumps, but I imagine that a separation could be a constraint in case of the use of a filter because the water current would be counteracted, except if a long pipe leads the water coming out of the filter to the other end of the aquarium.

Other enthousiasts have probably more clever solutions to share

Hi,
I've never separated axolotls but I once had to separate Betta fish.
Since I didn't want to make a permanent separation, I used :
- a glass plate of the interior dimensions of the tank (not always the most easy thing),
- 4 little succion cups (the model for fixing aquarium heating) to wedge the glass plate fermly in a vertical position.
For axolotls, which can be much more powerful than a Betta, I suggest to use 8 succion cups.

That being said, I never use filters nor pumps, but I imagine that a separation could be a constraint in case of the use of a filter because the water current would be counteracted, except if a long pipe leads the water coming out of the filter to the other end of the aquarium.

Other enthousiasts have probably more clever solutions to share
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm actually not against this idea. I can get a glass sheet cut to size from my local hardware store for under $14. My question is how I would hook suction cups onto it. I'd be understandably nervous about taking a power drill to a sheet of glass, for instance.

taking a power drill to a sheet of glass
1628837574602.png

No need of drill at all.
Just put the sucking cups on the tank wall glass so that they block the separation.

Yes. That's exactly what I thought about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back