Snails and Axolotls? Big or Small?

Emma18

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I have been thinking of getting a snail for my axolotl Hubble (about 7 inches) I have researched a lot and I can't find answers. Some people say large snails are good (I was thinking of a mystery snail) and others say only small ones, and yet others say: None at all! So I am wondering, should I get a snail as a second pet and algae cleaner or not? I am ok if my axolotl eats them as long as it does not hurt Hubble. I don't want my axolotl to get hurt so if it is a large risk there is no way I will get one, but if it is very small and unlikely, I think I will go for it? So what do you guys think? Are snails compatible with axolotls or not?

I've been wondering if snails are okay also and found that people say pond snails are okay because they are very small and have soft shells. But as for big snails people have very mixed opinions about them. No trumpet snails because they are pointy and have hard shells. People say they have done fine with mystery snails bigger than the axies head but if they're the same size they might try to eat them and that would cause problems. Also people say it's bad because the snail might crawl onto your sleeping axie and eat their skin. Which is a worry but my little guys if you so much and touch the tip of their tail while their sleeping they freak out. Anyways if your're looking for something that cleans algea and left over food that isn't too costly and is an okay axie snack if they can catch them would be some amano/cherry/ ghost shrimp. Mainly the general consensus is a no go but if you do find a definite answer let me know!

So I am wondering, should I get a snail as a second pet and algae cleaner or not?

Neocaridina shrimps, Gammarus and Ostracods are very good algae cleaner. Axolotls eat quickly Gammarus but no Ostracods. Shrimps, are too fast (or "smart") for him it can eat a little but not all.

Last edited:
Yeah, I like mystery snails but they have a trap door that can hurt an axie? At least that has been what I read. I have heard of pond snails too. I found some mystery snails that are bigger than Hubble so I will probably get those. It doesn't sound like a very big risk? Shrimp sound good to. I might pick up a few of those for some cleaning, (and maybe a little snack)?

After reading everything shrimp seem like a good option. They can eat leftover food and Hubble can have a snack. Thanks for the answers!

I don't personally think snails are a good idea for the same reason that gravel isn't a great idea. Maybe if the snail was the size of a golf ball but then it would add a huge bioload to the tank which is fine as long as you keep up with the parameters and what not. I think most snails (mystery or otherwise) I've seen in pet stores are the perfect size for an axie to choke to death...I think there are a couple examples in the species mixing disaster thing that show axolotls choking to death on snails...maybe someone else can link you to that but it's really not a pretty sight... I think you're right about the pond snails though, I understand that the tiny tiny snails can pass through an axie's system without incident though I still don't think I would personally risk it. maybe someone can share their experience with snails?

I love shrimps though! I think you have to be careful what kind you get though, some people say that the shrimp at pet stores are sometimes labeled as ghost shrimp but are actually some other kind of shrimp with large pinchers that can hurt the axolotls? (I haven't seen these but I have heard several people say this..) I personally have ghost shrimp from a local petstore and I love them, however I don't think they actually eat algae unless they're starving as they are carnivores primarily so mine usually just eat whatever is leftover from my axies pellets but they're really cute and there's always leftover crumbs to go around. I think the suggestion is still to quarantine them for at least 2 weeks before you add them to the tank though.

Ok, thanks allied123. I called a petstore and measured my axie they said that they had mystery snails bigger than an inch or about that size. This is a private pet store. If some one had personal experience with snails that would be great, but for now it seems like shrimp are the way to go:D I think I will call the pet store and ask them about they're shrimp. Like I said, it is a private pet store and it is reviewed well on websites, do you think they still need to be quarantined? If so do I just feed them some pellets? Thanks for all the info!

I'm honestly not even sure why the shrimp even need to be quarantined, I can't imagine there are many things that could be transferred from shrimp to axolotl (maybe more to go with the water the shrimp were in?)...I still suggest to do it and I always do it, and I think I always will but I'd just love for someone to tell me why we do lol and I don't make any special point to feed them, i usually just drop a couple extra down when I feed the axolotls they're feeder shrimp so they usually have super short life spans no matter what you do

Edit: sorry just read your question again, yeah in quarantine I just drop a couple pellets in there but they're really sensitive to water quality so be sure to keep the container they're in clean

The snails size though...for my 10 inch axolotls not to be capable of eating them the snail would have to be over 3-4 inches in not sure an inch is a good size unless your axie is only like 3 inches I would think, they can open their mouths almost as wide as their head I think, maybe someone can offer insight there too.

good luck with the shrimp! Tell us how it goes! :)

Yeah I would like to know about quarantine too:eek: I measured Hubbles head, and inch and a half is just about the largest part of his head, so probably two inches for a snail:p He is seven inches.

Wow that was a really useful thread thank you for linking that!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yes! Thank you, sorry I did not reply sooner. That was a great thread. Seems like I will just get shrimp. I don't want to risk my axie for a snail:D Does anyone know if they need quarantine. The pet store I go to is private. I will do a new thread though, so you could answer on that if you know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back