Substrate Question?

axolover703

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
OpalAxies
Hello all! So, I currently have no form of substrate in my axolotl tank, and I would like some. (I have a few medium sized rocks scattered around the bottom, but they aren't really ideal.) I've heard that sand is the best option, and am thinking about getting some to use as substrate. I'm just concerned that my axie will eat the sand and get sick, is this something I should be worried about? Thanks in advance!

I've heard about axies that eat sand, but mine don't. If they get any in their mouth they just spit it out immediately. Fine sand will pass through their digestive systems without problem (as long as they don't eat whole mouthfuls on purpose)!

Even though I am new here, from what I have ready silica based play sand OR large river rocks (too big to put in their mouths).

Hopefully others will wiegh in. :happy:

Fine sand, like play sand, should be okay. But keep in mind, Juveniles are much more likely to become impacted than adults.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back