Swollen glands?

Ninai127

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
I just noticed Pickle had some swollen glands (?) and was not really using his back legs to walk around. Additionally, substance seemed to be floating out of the swollen area earlier but I don’t think it was poop. He is eating normally and otherwise appears fine, but I was just wondering what this could be? I’ve never seen him like this before and am just a little worried. Pictures are attached

Attachments

• 52C97969-6F1A-4E0C-931B-2C98AB6E13F4.jpeg
    52C97969-6F1A-4E0C-931B-2C98AB6E13F4.jpeg
    894.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 3A48C465-0487-4729-94AF-7E2FB47A04D6.jpeg
    3A48C465-0487-4729-94AF-7E2FB47A04D6.jpeg
    922.8 KB · Views: 118
Hi everyone,
I just noticed Pickle had some swollen glands (?) and was not really using his back legs to walk around. Additionally, substance seemed to be floating out of the swollen area earlier but I don’t think it was poop. He is eating normally and otherwise appears fine, but I was just wondering what this could be? I’ve never seen him like this before and am just a little worried. Pictures are attached
Looks like he may have an impaction. A swollen or prolapsed cloaca + holding their back legs up is usually a sign that they are struggling to pass something. When we the last time you saw him poop?

Impactions can be eased by feeding high fat foods (repashy grub pie is a good one), but if it's serious, more drastic measures may need to be taken.

Last time he pooped was about 4-5 days ago if I remember correctly

My axy also has this problem, plus her body is bloated for more than 2 months now. First I thought she was gravid, but now it seems not the case. She stopped eating a few days ago and her bottom is getting bigger with a little swollen color. There’s no vet in my region. I really don’t know what to do, I feel losing her. Is there online vet that can give me some advice how to treat her by myself?
F7DED7AA-A770-4723-ABA1-CD1A2629DF74.jpeg
FB97E42A-C533-49C9-9D35-7B444516AB82.jpeg

My axy also has this problem, plus her body is bloated for more than 2 months now. First I thought she was gravid, but now it seems not the case. She stopped eating a few days ago and her bottom is getting bigger with a little swollen color. There’s no vet in my region. I really don’t know what to do, I feel losing her. Is there online vet that can give me some advice how to treat her by myself?
View attachment 87699View attachment 87700
when I see swelling like that, its usually an indication of some type of organ failure from infection. Without vet assistance though, you will have a hard time getting the treatment for her. Antibiotics are most likely required at this point.

What kind of antibiotics would you suggest? it would be great if you can show me some photo of a medicine box or something, so I can look it up. I learned from internet that Indian almond is one kind of natural antibiotic. Can I use it? They are everywhere here.
The swollen looked worse today so I put her in fridge (the 3rd time), hope it can slow down the infection and give her some comfortable since the weather is getting so hot.
Sadly, there's no vet for aquarium creatures here, especially not so many people know about axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back