Tank Balance?

CharlieCaulfield

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know it's very difficult to keep a tank balanced when it's smaller. I have a 20 gallon, and I wanna know your best way to keep them as primed as possible

I've got a great filter made just for newts, and I have a schedule for replacing the water

But are there any other methods I might be able to look into?

I considered snails, but then I realized my newts might eat them. I've got some fairy shrimp living in the tank, I know they filter feed

But is there anything else I can do?

So you are trying to keep the water parameters at a good level? That could be easily achieved with the following:
-Weekly-monthly water changes depending on stock level
-Low light plants as salamanders dislike bright light, or floating plants as they block light. Lots of plants can easily remove harmful waste in the aquarium which can save many trips of water changes.
-Not over stocking your aquarium
-Having a cycled aquarium by not changing too much water at a time
-Only clean your filter a few times a year with your tank's water as tap water can kill your beneficial bacteria, personally, I don't clean my filter as I have a planted aquarium.

Also, snails should be compatible with newts, the snail population should be stable even if the newts do eat them. Fairy shrimps will get eaten.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back