Question: The big axie bitting the smaller

Paulo Stella

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hello everybody, I am from Brazil, i beg your pardon about my poor english.I have one leucistic axolote that is 2 cm bigger than my second axie, which is wild type.( 17 cm the small and 19 the big). I read a lot the foruns here but i couldn´t solve my problem. They are 3 weeks together and my bigger axie bitted one finger, one piece of the tail and half of one gill of my wild type.My smaller axie never fighted against the bigger one. I dont know what to do. I always feed then in diferent parts of the tank, the tank has a lot ot places to hide and is very big (220 liters). 19 celsius degrees and ph 7,0. I tried to put a divider in the middle of the tank but they always find one way to pass through the other side.:(

The best solution is to keep them in separate tanks. Your wild-type's limbs will regrow over time, but you don't want her to have to keep experiencing this. In the meantime I would keep trying to separate them with the divider and make sure that they are getting enough to eat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back