Three axies no waiting

tundrabadger

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was lucky enough to find a couple who were selling their whole set up...40 gallon tank, filter, bubbler decorations and a pair of adult females...a very nice albino and what I personally believe to be a gorgeous melanistic, although her gills are a bit short. Not unhealthy, they're nice and fluffy, just short. So I went yesterday and picked up the whole kit and caboodle once I had a look and saw they were healthy. I would love to have pictures, right now they're still a bit freaked out from the trip and are taking advantage of the hides that came with them.

My leucestic, Alexander, is still in his ten gallon, he's a good deal smaller than the girls, he may actually be a boy for all I know (I'm just saying he because he has way too much personality for an it, and because my wife suggested the name Alexander Salamanderton and it stuck) in which case he's baching it unless and until we want a whole bunch of axolotls, and I would need to quarantine newcomers in any case, the only difference here is i'm doing it in the big tank not the little tank.

Pretty happy, the previous owners took good care of them and were sad to see them go. I see leucistics and albinos all over the place here, but no store or breeder that I've found locally has melanistic.

Quick update....the black one, who we've chosen to name Vita, is showing off in the front of the tank after spending about 36 hours occupying a space signficantly smaller than herself in the back right corner. Behind her hide. I don't claim to understand.

The albino, who is now named "Virginia" is hiding, but my wife just came in and showed me pictures of HER showing off earlier today, so I think we've gotten through the "I've been moved and everything is terrifying" phase.

Pics when I've gotten to the pet store for supplies and have the set up the way I want it. Dying to see what they would do with some moss balls

another update; both of them have now eaten...since they're adults and don't eat every day this is an accomplishment. I have seen Virginia move for the first time. I know she's BEEN moving, but she' hasn't really done it in my presence, beyond shifting position a bit. OH, and what I thought was an ammonia spike was actually my tester reacting with my water treatment, I did a test on a bucket of fresh treated water, same results. Glad I checked that, I was wondering a) how I managed to kill off the bacteria in the filter media so completeley and b) why it was my axolotls seemed so unperturbed by being in poor quality water. I never noticed it in my small tank because I just plain don't usually have that volume of freshly dechlorinated water in my tanks, and I've been testing the water in the new tank more often than I normally would

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back