Tiger salamander care for a beginner

ScaleWiz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I have a 55 gallon aquarium (4x1x2 ft) that I picked up off the street for free. It's been sitting in my apartment for a long while now, and I'm wondering whether it would make a good home for a salamander. I've been researching about tiger salamander care, but I have some questions still, just to make sure that I would be caring for them properly.
1. How many tiger salamanders would be ok living in a tank that size? (If there is a salamander better suited for beginners, please let me know.)
2. Would they be scared by my cat? She is very lazy and wouldn't cause trouble, but I still don't want to stress them out.
3. Can they live on worms alone? I'd rather not keep crickets or roaches.
If you have any answers or advice, please let me know. Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back