URGENT: BABY'S DYING??

SammyRae

Reaction score
Country
United States
URGENT: BABY AXOLOTLS DYING???

A few hours ago I did a water change and went to feed my baby axolotls, brand new dechlorinated tap water and baby brine shrimp. I went to check on them and almost all were belly up and not moving or barley moving! I checked the parameters and the ammonia was at 1ppm, this was brand new water! Just checking my batch of brine shrimp the ammonia was almost 2ppm! I removed the babies and put them in new water, are they dead/dying? In shock? Ammonia poisoning within a few hours? Are any going to make it? If anyone has any idea or way to help I would appreciate it so much! This is my first clutch and I'm so scared!
Also I have one extra small one in a separate container that got the same treatment and us fine.

Its the ammonia - I have had the same thing happen with my current tap water - its infuriating.

Double or triple the Prime let it sit in a bucket for several house BEFORE changing the water

The BBS hatchery dont stress about - you end up rinsing the bbs before adding and I use the water from my rested bucket for all of that.

The extra Prime will bind the ammonia for 24 hours even though you can test it, it will not affect them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back