Waxy white film?

jesterbell

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jess
Hay guys!

I'm wondering if anyone knows what this junk is?

yQnksf2.png

hezoaVi.png

it's white, kind of waxy and on most of the surfaces in my tank. the leaves, the filter housing, the driftwood... it's ugly and gross. anyone have any insight on this?

Could you possibly get a closer picture? Can't really determine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'll try when i get home, my phone takes really horrible pictures heh

I get the same on the bog wood in my tank also ?

Woops, I forgot to post more pictures!

It seems to come back immediately after a water change - it fades day by day after that. I did one last night and it's back full force.

My driftwood is completely white right now, but I couldn't get a good photo of it.

N4ZIR8a.jpg

Some kind of aquatic mould/fungus at a guess. Wood is a source of cellulose and lignin making it an attractive food for early fungal colonisers. Often these are white and will grow on any porous surface in the aquarium. Occasionally becoming a cotton like fuzz or slimy coating. Over time, as the tank matures, they will be out competed by other organisms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back