Paramesotriton Hongkongensis with Limb Rot

Libby8

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two Paramesotriton Hongkongensis that I just bought from a pet store about two weeks ago. About one week ago, the female's back left leg started to swell. At first I didn't see any open lesions so I wasn't sure what was going on. Now there is a large open sore on her foot and I assume it is limb rot. I moved her to a small hospital tank and I'm doing daily water changes. I'm also medicating the water to try to stop the infection. Right now I am using API General Cure because it's what I had on hand. I have ordered Furan-2. Are either of those medicines dangerous to use with an amphibian, and/or is there something that would be better to use for limb rot? Also, she doesn't seem to be eating. I keep offering her food but I haven't seen her eat.

API General Cure is an anti-parasite med, I would stop using that. Furan-2 is Nitrofurazone and Furazolidone, and that's probably the best you can do for antibiotics easily available. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice. I am using the FURAN-2 and it seems to have at least stopped the spread of the infection. Her leg is still swollen and it doesn't seem to be healing yet, but doesn't appear to be getting worse anymore either. She also ate an earthworm on Friday night so I am much less concerned now. To my surprise, she is also laying eggs. I found some wrapped in the leaves of the hospital tank and also in the main tank. I read in many other posts that newts can re-grow their lost limbs. However, her foot hasn't actually fallen off. There is a big hole and a few of her toes are sort of dangling. Can it re-grow properly with the old toes still dangling? I read in some of the other posts that some people amputate the limbs to help them re-grow, but I don't think I can do that. I'd be too afraid of hurting her.

I saw my newt molt a couple days ago and eat her skin. I hope this is a good sign that she is healing herself. The couple toes that we sort of dangling are gone now after the molt, but I still can't tell if her leg is healing at all. Any words of wisdom on what to do next would be appreciated.

I really need more help if anyone has more advice to offer. I have read every post on this site that seems to be applicable. I tried Neosporin and antibacterial sprays, but it seems like the problem is deeper than those can reach. I tried Furan-2 antibiotic, which I thought was working. I stopped medicating her when I thought her leg was starting to heal because I was afraid of over-medicating her. As soon as I stopped medicating the infection got much worse. She took to land for the first time a few days ago and refused food for the first time last night. I think I may have made a big mistake not amputating the infected area when it was just her foot. It is now her whole leg and I'm really worried about whether she'll survive. Is there a stronger antibiotic that I can use or something more effective for limb rot? Will limb rot stop with her leg or will the infection spread to her body and organs? Help please!

I would isolate it into a separate escape proof container or tank with a moist paper towel substrate and continue with like the neosporin, if it went underwater I'm pretty sure most of the antibiotic would just fall off, and I would wait to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

Thanks for your posts. She is already isolated in an escape proof container and is staying on land most of the time now. I'm keeping her water around 60 degrees. How would I find a veterinarian that treats newts? I'm pretty sure mine doesn't.

Well, by separate container I meant not in water but on damp/moist substrate

Thanks for your posts. She is already isolated in an escape proof container and is staying on land most of the time now. I'm keeping her water around 60 degrees. How would I find a veterinarian that treats newts? I'm pretty sure mine doesn't.

It might still be worth calling your regular vet, they often have someone they recommend to customers who bring in fish/exotics.

Aaron, Thanks for the reply. I removed the water and put her on damp paper towels. I keep applying Neosporin, but it's not sticking to her skin. I had a scare with her last night. I was sure I had lost her. She was completely unresponsive and lifeless for at least 6 hours. I was sure she was dead, but I was so upset I decided to just leave her body alone and hope for a miracle. This morning she was walking around again. I'm posting this antidote for the benefit of other newbies because she seemed so obviously dead I think most people would have disposed of the body.

Pretty much every area has a exotic animal vet. Call around and the other vet offices will usually help you find one and if you cannot let me know your location and I will help you. Home remedies might be fine for minor things but when they do not seem to be working, you probably need a vet who can do a culture and prescribe a specific medication. This won't be cheap, though. If you cannot afford a culture, they can prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic and hope for the best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back