Eastern Tiger Salamander

JimboT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I live in S.W. Michigan, USA. On 11 November 2014 I came upon what i believe to be an Eastern Tiger Salamander. He was in my backyard and was alive but could barely move.

The previous night and following morning had been unseasonably warm (about 55-60 deg F) and rainy. By the time I found him in the early afternoon the temps had dropped to right around freezing. I figured at the time that the sudden drop in temperature was why he was just about paralyzed. I have since read on this forum that they are commonly active in cold weather and snow especially during their late winter / early spring breeding period. So now I'm not so sure what his problem really was.

I was afraid that he would become prey to or more accurately a play toy for my two dogs or just die from exposure. So I put him in a plastic coffee can that I rinsed out with well water and brought him into the house. My intention was to keep him long enough to show my wife and 13 year old son then release him once the temps warmed up some.

Well it seems that winter has arrived and the weather has only gotten colder. We now have 2-3 inches of snow on the ground. Unless I find out from you all that he might be OK or even better off out in the cold I intend to care for him at least until spring. If i can get him that far then at that time I'll re-evaluate what would be best for him.

I've read all I can find on the internet about caring for him or her?? I of course still have some questions which I will post in a more appropriate area. I am very happy to have found this forum and website where I can hopefully get some advice.

By the way he is dark brown with orangish brown or rusty blotches. Most of the pictures I see of eastern tiger salamanders don't have his coloration. But a small percentage of the pictures I have looked at that are said to be eastern tigers do.

Well sorry for the long winded post. I'm looking forward to learning about this little guy and I hope I can successfully do right by him. Thanks for any advice u may be able to offer.

James

Hello Jimbo T:

I live 40 miles NW of Chicago and have raised Eastern Tiger Salamanders off and on since 1976.

Best set up is: 50% topsoil (no fertilizers or chemicals added) and 50% coconut mulch (which can be bought from most pet stores). My depth is 4". I place a clay bottom dish, which slowly releases the water underneath it. All my salamanders hide here.

I feed the animal every other day, worms, sometimes crickets or waxworms. Worms are the staple of their diet.

Every 3 days, I add one day old tap water to the dish. It usually empties in two days, especially now as the basement is cool and dry.

My oldest is 13 years old and is still doing well, but looking at him, he is definitely an old salamander. My youngest are 3 years old.

Every 3-4 months I replace the soil mixture. I will say, it took several trips to different stores to find "just topsoil" without anything else being added. I now keep 3 40# bags of it in stock. My current collection is 5 tigers, one from Minnesota, two Crystal Lake, IL and two from WI.

Good luck and thanks for saving the salamander from the extremely early winter!

Hello Ron1fritsch thanks for the reply. I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply. I didn't see your post until now. I'll have to see if there is a way to get email notices for this forum.

Right now I am using straight coconut fiber on the advice of the pet shop I bought it from. It seems a little coarse and I've been wondering if there wasn't something better. I think I will try the 50% topsoil when I change it out. I will start looking for some without additives.

I'm curious about the clay bottom dish. Right now I am misting everyday and I put a shallow glass tray in the tank which holds about 1/2" of water. He comes out at night and wades in it. Does this indicate that the substrate is to dry? Is the clay bottom dish you use the tray that goes with a clay pot for plants or is it something else?

Two more days and I'll have had him for 4 weeks. It was touch and go at first as he would only burrow and hide 24/7. To feed him, I had to dig him out and put him in an empty container where he couldn't hide. But in the last week he has been coming out of his burrow about every other day and taking both pieces of a night crawler cut in half.

He seems to be doing well and may have even added a little weight. Also it appears to me that his spots that were rusty colored when I found him are turning more yellow. Do their spots change color or am I imagining this?

Anyway thanks again for the reply.

James

JimboT: Yes the salamanders spots changes with time. Mine typically is more yellow first 3-5 years, then the yellow becomes more olive. One thing I always wanted to do, but never did, was to take a picture at every year birthday to see the change thru time.

Typically, when the salamanders goes into the water dish, usually means to dry. Misting daily is good though. My clay dish works very well. good luck

Sorry, forgot to mention, the clay dish is the bottom of the potting pots for flowers.

My soil stays moist, but not overly wet .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back