Cloudy eye

turgleburgle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 3 and a bit yr old axie colin seems to have a cloudy pupil it seems to be deep into it not just on the surface, not sure how long its been like this, other then this he seems himself

Attachments

• blind colin.jpg
    blind colin.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 532
Cloudy eyes can be caused by several different things, ammonia and sunlight being the most common. What are you water parameters and is your tank in direct sun or under a UV light?

What's water parameters? No he's behind a wall blocking the sun so he doesn't get direct sun.

Water parameters are the conditions of the water. You should go buy some water testing kits. You will have to look for Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite kits. Ideally you should have gotten it all set up before you got the axolotl but that's ok. Axies waste mostly comes in the form of ammonia. Which is lethal to them.
Your levels should be

Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 20ish
Nitrate: 0

This is what the water parameters should be. It takes about a month or so to fully cycle your tank, meaning get those numbers showing in your water. Anything else is bad for the lotls. If your tank isn't cycled you should be doing massive water changes everyday.

But yea go buy some tests and test your water.

I've had him since he was a baby so the tanks cycled lol never done water test With him or my fish tanks, I recently bought him some bogwood and didn't realise you had to boil it first so the water did resemble tea for a while, but it's clear now, dunno if that will have contributed to it

Not to be rude, but that is pretty irresponsible as an aquatic pet owner not to test the water. Especially when setting up a new tank the water can go bad very quickly and harm your pets. It is also important to test an established tank every now and then to be sure the cycle works like it should and there's nothing wrong.

That's fine I guess because I've never had any thing wrong before I've never bothered, never had any fun rot or fungus or bloating or any other aquatic diseases that people seem to get, I presume it's because I live in Cumbria and the waters like pure spring water up here, had a goldfish from a fair in an unfiltered bowl for ten years with no stuff added to water to clean it so must be good, but will take some of Colin's water to be tested if that's what your meant to do

It's not that the water there would be bad, but when a living being is in the water it produces wastes that are harmful for them. No matter how perfect the water is, it won't be perfect for long with an animal living in it. An axie produces wastes in the tank -> ammonia, which is highly toxic for them. Bacteria take the ammonia and produce nitrite, which is still very toxic. Another colony of bacteria takes the nitrite and produces nitrate, which is not as toxic but will be harmful in higher concentrations which is why you do regular water changes. Those are the reasons why you need to test the water. I never have to add anything to my water either, but I still test the tank water regularly to make sure the cycle is working properly - ammonia and nitrite 0, and nitrate under 40 ppm.

Edit. I went back to look at the picture of your axie and noticed the filaments in his gills are very short. Wrong water parameters affect them too. Now it might be because of other reasons, but wrong water parameters is one of the most common reasons. So I would definitely have the parameters checked (right before water change) or get a testing kit so you can test them yourself (Api freshwater master test kit is very popular).

He's always had short feathery bits, as I say will take it to be tested

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back