Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter help please???

Cacique

Reaction score
It doesn't seem to have great reviews, and I'm not 100% confident but I don't think it moves enough GPH. You might want to check out Aquaclears, they're HOB but have really good space for a lot of media and I think you can get one for the 20G in your price range. Hopefully someone with experience with canister filters can give you more advice.

Bette

Reaction score
It doesn't seem to have great reviews, and I'm not 100% confident but I don't think it moves enough GPH. You might want to check out Aquaclears, they're HOB but have really good space for a lot of media and I think you can get one for the 20G in your price range. Hopefully someone with experience with canister filters can give you more advice.

But with a high flow hob filter you would need to rig up a baffle of some sort. By trial and error, I've found that ATI hydro pro sponge filters are by far the best. And you will definitely see your axolotls out and about a whole lot more when using a sponge filter together with an air pump.

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
Stay away from Fluval Aqua Clear HOB filter. I saved up $40 for it and it had tons of positive reviews. I've had nothing but disasters with it. My issues were having the box part dry out when there should be water in it automatically at all times. Even had the entire filter throw out almost all my axolotl tank water onto the floor. (Don't ask me how that even happened but I found my axolotls swimming in 5 inches of water! And thank goodness I found them in time!) And of course motor issues. Sometimes the motor turns off or won't start back up.

I really don't know how it got so many good reviews unless I was the only person to ever receive a bad filter.

This is what the filter looks like so you can AVOID it at all cost. lol

Aqua Clear Fluval Power Filter | Filters | PetSmart

sde

Reaction score
I really don't know how it got so many good reviews unless I was the only person to ever receive a bad filter.

That is quite possible, though it is very unfortunate. On just that site it has 53 reviews, out of those 53 reviews 44 are five star, 3 are four star, 1 is three star, 2 is two star, and 3 is 1 star. That is pretty darn good reviews. I think you probably just got a bad one.
Choosing a filter is a real pain, but there are a few ways to narrow it down. 1. Is price. Obviously you need it to be under $40. 2. Is GPH, you don't want a filter that puts off to much or not enough current, though too much is usually better because you can diffuse it. 3. Is reviews, you are probably going to want a filter that is rated at least three stars, but the higher the better. Also, I filter that is rated four stars but only has three reviews is not going to be as reliable as a filter that has a four star rating and has thirty reviews etc. 4. Is if it has biological and mechanical filtration or if it just has biological. Mechanical filtration is not essential, but can definitely help. 5. Is this link ;)
Caudata Culture Articles - Filters -Seth

Cacique

Reaction score
Sorry you got a bad filter Cyn. I've had mine, the same kind as that, for about year or so without any issues. Sometimes after I plug it in after a water change it won't torn on, but I learned that it's just a dirty impeller. I use a tiny bottle brush to scrub it real quick and good to go.

allied123

Reaction score
I actually have that same filter too and I think it's pretty good, they are pretty clear in the instructions about NEVER running it dry (which i found out the hard way after turning it on the first time) and that meant that you have to pretty much pour water into the back of it until it overflows before you ever think about turning it on. I do have the same problem as Cacique occasionally where it won't turn back on but the impeller is super easy to clean the little thing just pops right out and I usually clean it with a q-tip (never thought about a better tool lol) but that has always solved my problem. It does seem to get dirty pretty easily (that may just be me, I have a little algae problem) and personally I use q-tips to clean the tubes and that works pretty well, I find myself cleaning it about every other water change cause the flow does slow down when its dirty but as I said cleaning is pretty easy and I love that you can put whatever media you want in the basket.

also sorry about your problem ladygodiva you must have gotten a bad one :( but that is the exact same one that I have and I've had it for over 5 months and really haven't had any problems at all.

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
also sorry about your problem ladygodiva you must have gotten a bad one :( but that is the exact same one that I have and I've had it for over 5 months and really haven't had any problems at all.

My filter media gets really dirty fast also and yeah the propeller thing works good after a nice Q-tip cleaning. It's more a pain in the butt to always have to take it off. I don't know how in the world the filter managed to run itself dry! I always fill it up with water until it pours back out into the tank.

I'm glad the filter is working for others though. I'd hate for everyone to have the same experience as me. :)

layna

Reaction score
I literally bought my LFS's own brand filter (sits in the tank and has a spray bar)than turned over 4x my tanks volume an hour (if you have a 100L tank you need a filter that does 400L per hour)
Swapped out the cabon basket for ceramic rings and voila, ive not had any problems with it :D

You can get by on just a sponge filter as long as you scoop the poop so i wouldnt get too bogged down in having the 'best of the best' filter type as long as its large enough to handle your bioload

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!