Feeding a damaged juvenile

ksb1001

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently acquired a juvenile axlotl who had nubs for arms and no gills. The poor little fella had been kept with a tetra and it ate him half to death. Since I've had him (about a month) his arms are coming in and his gills are starting to come back. I've got him at home in a 10 gallon tank with great conditions (I'm at school now so I don't have my parameters) and a small seasoned sponge filter. He is very responsive to brine shrimp and eats heartily. He is white and gets a cute little orange belly. I'm wondering when I should start feeding him little chopped up pieces of earthworm. He's only about 3 inches long. I have no idea how old he is supposed to be. Any help would be great!

p.s. I have decided to name him Olen Koko (Koko for short) it means "I am whole" in Finnish. I think it will fit him once he's all repaired!

Attachments

• 20141118_215658.jpg
    20141118_215658.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 170
As soon as he's big enough to swallow the pieces you can give him earth worms. If he's still very little, it is also ok to give him bloodworms.

Another question I had, how long will it take for him to regenerate his lost limbs and gills?

Another question I had, how long will it take for him to regenerate his lost limbs and gills?

It could take a month or two, depending on how good his diet is, how much he is eating, and how much regrowth needs to be done. Congratulations on your new baby :)

I recently acquired a juvenile axlotl who had nubs for arms and no gills. The poor little fella had been kept with a tetra and it ate him half to death. Since I've had him (about a month) his arms are coming in and his gills are starting to come back. I've got him at home in a 10 gallon tank with great conditions (I'm at school now so I don't have my parameters) and a small seasoned sponge filter. He is very responsive to brine shrimp and eats heartily. He is white and gets a cute little orange belly. I'm wondering when I should start feeding him little chopped up pieces of earthworm. He's only about 3 inches long. I have no idea how old he is supposed to be. Any help would be great!

p.s. I have decided to name him Olen Koko (Koko for short) it means "I am whole" in Finnish. I think it will fit him once he's all repaired!

I just noticed that you have that PVC pipe with rocks silicone on to it in that tank, which I also saw in the tank that your P. waltl are in. Are they in the same tank? If so, I would remove the axolotl immediately, as it could very well become a snack. Just a heads up. :)

Nope! They're in different tanks. The tank koko is in is a ten gallon tank I had cycled and ready for larvae. And don't worry all the silicone I got from a local aquarium store that was 100% aquarium safe and I let it cure for a week before I put it in just in case of leeching. :)

Koko' tank and the Newt tank. I just like uniformity in my bedroom lol. Also, in an effort to remove stress from his little developing gills, the main filter in kokos tank is unplugged and replaced by a sponge filter. I would eventually like to use the big filter as it works well, but i'm gonna let him grow then install something to soften the current.

Attachments

• 20141118_082354.jpg
    20141118_082354.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 20141118_082413.jpg
    20141118_082413.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 158
OK, I figured they were separate, but I thought I would make sure :)

It's actually "olen kokonainen". ;) But cute name anyway.

Thanks! My conjugations are still rough :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back