Film in tank?

DragonGirl

Reaction score
Country
United States
The past two days my axie hasn't been eating. sometimes he'll give a half hearted bite at my finger when i go to feed him and thats it, other times he'll take the food, 'chew' on it for a bit before spitting it out. It's only been two days and he looks fine, so i'm not all that worried (except I kind of am.) So, I decided to do a big water change for today and possibly another in the next day or two in case there are high ammonia levels or what not that are causing him to be stressed. As I was cleaning my tank I noticed there is this film on the inside of the glass. It's kind of like slime and can't be seen. I can feel it though. I did my best to scrub off as much as I could with my fingers. Does anyone know what this could be? Could it be harmful to Percival?

My axolotl tank gets that also. It's not so bad in my other aquatic tanks but it can get NASTY thick like mucus in my axolotl tank. I also get it on my filter. I guess it's just a natural build up of slime coat and other things. I'm not sure of the exact name or purpose of it but yeah it can be quite gross.

What are you feeding you axie?

Yeah, I've only ever had guppies and a betta before so I haven't really encountered slime like this unless it's accompanied by algae.

I've been feeding him frozen krill every night just like the petstore had been. Though his tank is kind of starting to smell like the flamingo exhibits at the zoo... So i'm thinking of looking into another food source to alternate with. People have been suggesting earth worms or night crawlers but I just don't have much access to them let alone the heart to feed them

You can try feeding frozen blood worm cubes. My axolotls loved those when they were younger but now they eat the canadian night crawlers I get at Wal-Mart from the bait section. Thankfully my axolotls are large enough to handle a larger sized worm. I hated having to chop them up in bite sized pieces. YUCK!

Yeah I just don't know if I could do that. I've heard blood worms are only really good nutritionally when the Axololts are younger. Mine is about 6 months old right now. I just want to make sure he's getting everything he needs nutritionally.

Pellets can be a good staple too if you would prefer that. But I wouldn't feed him the krill as a staple because it comes from the ocean.

I was thinking of getting pellets but I haven't really looked into which ones to get. I've heard there are pellets specifically for axolotls, but I'm not sure my local pet store has that. Any brands or anything you'd recommend?

My guys love the pellets from ed's fly meat but they are pretty messy! my guys are pretty big now (over 8.5 inches) but they still like to suck the pellet up and then spit out little tiny bits off it and it gets to be a pain, I got some ghost shrimp to try and remedy the situation but they don't seem to be catching on lol

Keep in mind that the worm will most likely suffer less than any of the many aquatic animals that would go into the pellets. I never stopped to think of the different kinds of fish used, and the reality is the worm would be the better choice. Not only healthier, but if the worm suffers he would suffer less than the critters used for the pellets.

Have to agree that earthworms are definitely the go, not only nutritionally but also in terms of tank cleanliness. There should be no need to cut the earthworms up if your axies are six months old - Boris could handle a worm nearly as long as he was at that stage of his growth. And they wriggle more when left whole and alive, which attracts the axie. And no matter where you are, an earthworm farm is incredibly cheap and easy to set up and maintain (see the sticky on this subject in this forum).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back