Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand

Lairel

Reaction score
I read somewhere that you can use regular sand, like play box sand that you pick up at a hardware store, can be used in an axolotl habitat. Is this true? Aquarium sand is expensive so I am hoping for an alternate option. Also how do you rinse the sand before adding it to the tank?

Bette

Reaction score
Please review this article: Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates
It has lots of great info! I used pool filter sand, and many others use play sand. Definitely rinse it thoroughly in a large container outside.
But if you will have young axolotls in the tank, it's best to go with bare bottom. Even sand can cause impaction in juveniles. Hope this helps :)

layna

Reaction score
Aquarium sand, pool filter sand or childrens play sand will be fine.
Just ensure you rinse and rinse and rinse until the water runs clear and remeber that the tank will still be a little cloudy for a few days until the sand settles

Cacique

Reaction score
I have pool filter sand in my axie, shrimp and goldfish tanks without any issues. I got PFS because after reading a lot I found play sand to be much harder to clean.

SilentBenjam

Reaction score
I just spent £40 on 2 X 10kg bags of aquarium sand. :lame:
Wanted a specific colour though.

On a cheerier note, i'm nearly ready for axolotls, just need to wait for the bacteria to build up. whoop

ArdyBay

Reaction score
I get the play sand from home depot.
$5.00 for a 50 lbs bag. Have to rinse it a lot, but it's awesomely cheap.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1