Expert Advice Needed on Liver Treatment for Tiger Salamander

gtrheroine

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seadog's Pal
Hello,

I have an old tiger salamander that has ben diagnosed with metabolic bone disease that affects his spine and after many tests, it is clear that in addition to mbd, he most likely has liver disease. Full blood panels consistently show elevated liver levels and low calcium levels. I've been treating the calcium issue with topical calcium gluconate and a repti-sun 2.0 (I used a 5.0 before but he began hiding due to its strength). After months of this calcium treatment, his levels are still low (5.6, when it should be about 10). Values for the other organs: heart, lungs, kidneys, have been good. He is not super skinny and is eating. My vet says that this lack of improvement may be linked to liver disease, and comports with the liver results.

Here's another complication: the only treatment available is an oral medication. From past experience with his illness, oral medicines cause him to vomit and suffer. Right now he is doing well and I'd just like to treat the liver to improve his life.

My vet has said that he is not aware of any topical liver medications but I wanted to make sure. Does anyone know of any treatments that can be applied topically or by injection?

Thanks,
Elise

Hi Elise... I wish I knew the answer or could offer help in any way. But I just wanted to say that I truly admire and appreciate the care you are putting into your tiger. There are far too many people in the world who would have the "oh well, it's just an amphibian" attitude, and let him suffer and die. I wish you both the best. Cheers.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the kind words tc,

Yeah, I wish I knew what I could do besides what I'm doing now. I just know that the only treatment out there will do more harm than good. I'm just hoping that he stabilizes and doesn't feel too much pain.

:) Best Wishes,
Elise

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back