HELP! i bought these off of some kid

Aeon Slaughter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently bought these from Craigslist. They kid said they are german salamanders, but he didn't know anything else about them. He got them from someone else the week before. I can not find anything similar to them except for terrestrial axolotyls but they seem way to small. Any ideas? They are definately mole and prefer meal worms.

Attachments

• 20141121_211906.jpg
    20141121_211906.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 274
looks like Pleurodeles waltl (ribbed newts) to me.

Also i am new to this forum. I currently have 2 paddle tail newts, 2 japanese fire belly newts, a marbled salamander, and whatever the two unknown ones are. I have a bunch of other pets as well and hope to add a tiger salamander soon.

Thanks. I looked those up. Mine are completely smooth and Im not sure if they are the ribbed ones. Maybe when they get a little older or larger they may develop less smooth skin? Its such a mystery and I want to be able to take care of them properly.

looks like Pleurodeles waltl (ribbed newts) to me.

I believe Michael is right. What kind of a set up do you have them in? Should be mostly aquatic.

For the moment they are in a short but longer critter keeper and they have a large container of water. More than enough room for them both but neither wants to be in the water. They keep burying themselves in the substrate. They will be going into an actual setup this weekend but im confused as to what kind of setup they want. I can do a half and half, but for now they avoid the water.

They were an unexpected buy.

Totally aquatic is best for them. I would put a cork bark float in with them in case they want to crawl out of the water. I would feed them chopped earthworms, frozen bloodworms, live blackworms, and or salmon pellets. I feed mine mostly pellets.

You have one wild type and one leucistic juvenile ribbed newts.
I am sure.

Thank you. I will change up the enclosure. Glad i know what they are now. Always something interesting on craigslist.

Erm, not sure if it was a typo but its Axolotl, without a Y. I see Axolotl spelt like that (Axolotyl) a lot... I find it a bit strange. I have also seen-
Axalotel
Axolototl
and (saving the best 'till last) Exelotlz (Plural)

They definately are. Here is their new home until they get a little bigger. Thanks for everyones help. Axolotl auto corrects on my phone to axolotyls so sorry about that :) by the way to anyone who has had ribbeds..how big did yours get?

Also so far they seem to love mealworms and newt pellets. One was going after a guppy but was unsuccessful. Lol. As soon as i get to the bait shop i will get them some worms.

Attachments

• 20141125_004418.jpg
    20141125_004418.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 20141125_004435.jpg
    20141125_004435.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 20141125_004458.jpg
    20141125_004458.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 158
For the enclosure, I would raise the water level until the dock is near the top, these newts are basically fully aquatic so make use of all the empty space. I would also consider buying a bunch of live or silk plants to provide cover.
Also, I wouldnt feed mealworms as they have a hard exoskeleton, and is hard to digest. I would feed chopped worm and high quality pellets as a staple diet instead.

Once i get a spot together for a 20 gal they will be in that for a while. I didnt raise the water any higher due to the back of the aqarium hood being open. Just in case one or both happened to crawl out. I will keep a higher water level in mind for the next setup they get. When i bought them it was with the understanding that they were mole salamanders so the tank is just what I had around the house to get them a temp set up that was healthier for them. I will definately look into some silk plants. I am anti live plant as i have lost many filters to sneaky unwanted snails. The meal worms were what i was told to feed them when i bought them so i will def be getting some other food for them this week as well. I hope they grow quickly! Cant wait to see how big they get.

Thanks again for the advice guys. I had not ever heard of a ribbed newt before, but Im glad i bought them.

One more thing, they could easily climb out ( despite the water level ) if the hood is open. I would advise you keep the hood closed until you feed them or do maintenance etc. Then you could raise the water level and they probably won't be able to escape.

Unfortunately the aquarium hood is open in the back for a fish filter so i have to buy a new screen lid for them. Im just been scrambling for supplies since i wasnt expecting what they are.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back