Wild type's tail acting up?

Lyssa

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my wild type axolotl's tail, who is probably about a year old now, is starting to become clear at the tip, and looks very thin, almost like its just one layer of skin. And it has small red spots on it. He doesn't show any signs of stress, and he eats fine. I don't really think its life threatening, but it's just starting to bug me since I don't know why, and I can't really seem to find any information about it.

Does anyone know what happened? Or is this common? He did snag it on something in his tank quite awhile ago, but it's been healed by now. I will see if I can get a good picture.

edit- here's a picture, sorry its low quality.

mwuq7k.jpg

I can see why you are concerned - I'd be worried if it were mine too. What I'd be worried about is some sort of systemic infection, but if it is only on the very tip of the tail, probably not. I'm hoping the experts say that it isn't something serious.

Perhaps it is associated with the previous injury and is still regrowing. Is there any chance it is getting rubbed against something or dragged between something, like a thin gap that the tail slips into as the axolotl climbs over?

I'm definitely not an expert, but I'll ask the questions the experts usually ask ... What are the water parameters? Are ammonia and nitrite both 0 and nitrate acceptably low? What is the water temperature?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back