Adoped Axolotls that been poorly looked after

stevenwignet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Steven Wignet
Someone emailed me and said they could not look after their two axolotls and did I know of anyone that would take them off them. I said I would take them and give them good homes.

They said they were 9 months old as they were born in March. They also sent me a pic of them but they looked extremely small like a 3 month old. I asked them about the pic and they said it was taken in June.

Anyway I was expecting large axolotls as that is what they should be at 9 months old but when they arrived they were tiny, they look the size of a 3 month old and one of them was in a bad state, it only had one real leg intact, the other 3 were growing back and one of its gills had also been damaged and is growing back. The other one looked fine it had all its gills and legs.

The person said they did not want them as it was too much effort for them and did not find them interesting. They also said they were in a heated aquarium with other fish as that is what they were told.

Now, my dilema is what should I do with the injured one, should I pop it in the fridge for a week or just let it be in fresh water?
I did try and feed it a chopped up worm which it ate but 2 hours later was sick and threw it up.
The other one also ate worms but thew it up later too.

My main question is:
Can an axolotls growth be stunted due to heat and not enough food that a 9 month one can look like a 3 month one?
or was the people lying and it is in fact only 3 month old?

I've learned to not really trust most excuses people say when it comes to poor animal care but it's very possible they are stunted due to poor conditions and not enough food. How big are they? The fridge may not be necessary but you may want to keep them in separate cool containers until they are fully healed.

I've learned to not really trust most excuses people say when it comes to poor animal care but it's very possible they are stunted due to poor conditions and not enough food. How big are they? The fridge may not be necessary but you may want to keep them in separate cool containers until they are fully healed.

I dont have a tape measure to measure it but its the size of a 3 month old
here are some pics i quickly took

Attachments

• DSCF8634.jpg
    DSCF8634.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCF8633.jpg
    DSCF8633.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCF8631.jpg
    DSCF8631.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 273
  • DSCF8628.jpg
    DSCF8628.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCF8624.jpg
    DSCF8624.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 254
this is the pic they sent me prior to me receiving them.
As you can see from the pic they look like 3 months old and the wild one has all its legs.
now compare it with the one I took the only difference is just a tiny bit bigger but less legs.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 255
I've been wondering the same thing. I was given a golden albino under similar circumstances and conditions. Was told she was a year and a half old, was kept with fish in a tank that did not even have a thermometer. She was 5 inches long and bone thin. 3 months later she is 7 inches long and plump with flowing gills. I'd love to have another but I worry that she won't get any bigger bc I'm not positive of her actual age and I'll end up with too much of a size difference.

The nutrition and general care a lotl receives in its first six months will pretty much determine its final size. These axies look very malnourished, so although lots of love and worms will fatten them up and help them regrow any missing bits, it is unlikely that they will ever reach a large size. My lotl was small when I got him at six months of age, and although he then grew an inch a month for a few months, he stopped growing at eight inches and has not grown a millimetre more since.

Just persist with small, regular feedings and maintain good water quality. You should be able to nurse them back to health. It may be necessary to separate them if there is any bullying occurring, but if they have been together until now, it may be okay to leave them in the one tank, as long as there is enough room and several hides. I would not consider fridging at this stage as it will decrease appetite and these two look like they need to do quite a bit of eating. Good luck, and well done for taking them on and giving them a chance at a decent life.

Pics taken today

Attachments

• DSCF8635.JPG
    DSCF8635.JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCF8636.JPG
    DSCF8636.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCF8637.JPG
    DSCF8637.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCF8638.JPG
    DSCF8638.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCF8639.JPG
    DSCF8639.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCF8640.JPG
    DSCF8640.JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF8641.JPG
    DSCF8641.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF8642.JPG
    DSCF8642.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 196
more.

Attachments

• DSCF8643.JPG
    DSCF8643.JPG
    315.4 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCF8644.JPG
    DSCF8644.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCF8645.JPG
    DSCF8645.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF8646.JPG
    DSCF8646.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCF8647.JPG
    DSCF8647.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCF8648.JPG
    DSCF8648.JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCF8649.JPG
    DSCF8649.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCF8650.JPG
    DSCF8650.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 191
final 2 pics

Attachments

• DSCF8651.JPG
    DSCF8651.JPG
    335 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF8652.JPG
    DSCF8652.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 195
Well, if you want to get some weight on them I would try feeding chopped/whole worms and maybe some waxworms too

Well, if you want to get some weight on them I would try feeding chopped/whole worms and maybe some waxworms too

As I said in my first post I tried worms but the wild one refused to eat it and the other one ate the worm but 2 hours later was sick and threw it up.
I have tried again today to get them to eat the bit of worms but they just not interested, the wild one is trying to eat blood worms but only eats one or two of them and the rest get ignored, the other one does eat the bloodworms.

They are far too small for waxworms, they only the size of my middle finger

so far they have not done a poo yet, not sure if they even have any to produce if not been fed well

I agree with Sweetie! Feeding small portions twice a day will help a lot - it worked magic for my little guy coming from similar conditions.
These guys do look small and from my little experience with Axies and people who abandon them - there seems to be a common lie "we had them for a while and now can't afford to look after them anymore" which should really be read as "we tried but got bored within a month or so, left them unattended for a while, but we don't want to admit that and long term sounds better". So I'd say they may be still little and may grow up to full size (I'm only judging by my boy who went from small and skinny to plump and big in three months where ex-owner claimed him to be a 2-year old) or may stay shorter than average but will definitely put on weight and be happy and healthy. Maybe try axie pellets? Worked a treat for me at some point.
Good luck and good on you for adopting them:))

I just cannot get the wild one to eat, no matter what it eats be that tiny chopped up worms or blood worms (frozen and live ones) it just spits them out.
Its just not interested in eating at all, and its still not done a poo yet, the other one eats a tiny bit but not much but at least its done a tiny poo

latest pics

Attachments

• DSCF8712.jpg
    DSCF8712.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCF8713.JPG
    DSCF8713.JPG
    399.7 KB · Views: 202
They are definitely looking healthier, especially the gills. Have they grown any since your original pics in November? It's hard to tell size in pics. I assume this means the wild one finally started eating?

They are definitely looking healthier, especially the gills. Have they grown any since your original pics in November? It's hard to tell size in pics. I assume this means the wild one finally started eating?

it took nearly 3 weeks for the wildone to eat, now it likes 2 worms a day
i think they have both grown about 1cm in length, and the wild ones front foot has grown fully back although the chunk out the top of its tail has not regrown so it has an obvious bite mark in it
they were a bit bully with each other and fighting so put a barrier up to seperate them in same tub and 1.5 weeks later remeoved it and they are fine with each other now.
size wise they now look about 6 month old, but its anyone gues their real age

I think it's true that an axolotl's feeding and housing in its first few months determines a lot of its growth and health during its early life, although breeding may be a factor. I remember getting Gally, my Golden, who was skinny, with gill stubs, and tiny. She is now fat and much longer, with gills and little gill fronds. I estimate she was six months when I got her and I don't believe her gills will ever be big and frondy, but she definitely looks happier now.

When I raised sixty babies from larvae the good breeding of their parents definitely helped. I fed the babies on a good diet of BBS. They grew like weeds. I have pictures of them in their new homes now, fat and healthy-looking, and most of the new owners have followed my advice to the letter.

It is hard to say how old they are but they do look much better now they're eating the right foods. I found that worms are one of those things - once an axxie gets a taste for them, they fatten up like no one's business!

latest pics
they quite snug and content in the cave. only for one but they both squeese in it

Attachments

• DSCF8714.jpg
    DSCF8714.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCF8717.jpg
    DSCF8717.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 165
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back