Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White algae looking growth in tank

starkerz14

Reaction score
Over the past few days there seems to be what looks like white Algae growing in my tank.. Can anybody help... The picture below shows it growing on a fake plant in there..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416794334.764669.jpg

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I've never seen it that bad, but when I have seen something like that, it has been due to a high bio-load. A friend of mine described something like that recently when he was doing a fishess cycle - i.e., lots of ammonia, which is a lot like a high bio-load.

Did something die in the tank? Did food get spilled in there? Has someone else been feeding the axolotls for you?

I recommend checking the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, and taking corrective action if necessary.

starkerz14

Reaction score
I put new biomax in there about a week and a half ago.. I'm going to test the parameters later today

starkerz14

Reaction score
Here are the parameters for my tank.. I'm colourblind and struggle to work out the results.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416929613.355214.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416929623.337471.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416929633.922433.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416929643.189927.jpg

keiko

Reaction score
Both ammonia and nitrite are a bit high so a 50% (or more) water change would be good right now. And make sure to clean under all the ornaments etc. to make sure there is nothing rotting in there. It's probably good to keep testing the water every day for a little while so you can catch it early if the ammonia and nitrite start to rise again.
I would also take out everything that has the white stuff on them and scrub off as much as possible.

starkerz14

Reaction score
Both ammonia and nitrite are a bit high so a 50% (or more) water change would be good right now. And make sure to clean under all the ornaments etc. to make sure there is nothing rotting in there. It's probably good to keep testing the water every day for a little while so you can catch it early if the ammonia and nitrite start to rise again.

I would also take out everything that has the white stuff on them and scrub off as much as possible.

Thankyou for the reply.. I will do a water change tonight and give everywhere a thorough clean.. And yes will keep checking the parameters..

keiko

Reaction score
That's a lot better. Looks like both ammonia and nitrite are down to 0 at the moment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1