Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red Spots on Axie

Reaction score
I've recently had a fungus problem with my axie.. fungus started growing on his gills, so I immediately isolated him in another tank. I was doing salt baths 2 times a day for 10 minutes, using 1L of water and 2 tsps of un-iodized sea salt salt. The fungus is mostly gone now but I have noticed little red spots now all over the length of his tail. I do not think it is an ammonia burn because I've tested the water and ammonia levels are very low. I have been changing the water twice a day as well, so he is never in dirty water. Is this another infection? Or just a temporary result of the salt baths? I'm so worried for him!

10665368_874853552527538_7804834865860800453_n.jpg

Overmind

Reaction score
Get him to a good vet ASAP. This could be the beginnings of a bacterial infection. It is hard to tell from the photo, but open sores can be an indication of Saprolegnia or maybe a Red Leg Bacteria infection, the latter of which is quite common among axolotls. If you get the jump on it, you'll be fine. But if you let it go too long, it could turn real serious real quick. But there is no need to panic. If you get him to a vet now--a vet that understands axolotls, you should be fine; no worries.

Ammonia poisoning is usually unrelated to open sores (the red dots). Ammonia poisoning causes bleeding gills, and your axie would appear to be gasping for air. Also, you would notice changes in the pigment of your axolotl. Nitrite poisoning has similar symptoms. I've noticed the go-to prognosis on many of these forum posts is checking nitrite levels, but there are a host of other bacterial infections axies are prone to. Above all, DO NOT take medical advice online. I offered you possible reasons for your axolotl's problems, but prefaced them by urging you to take him to a vet. Always do this if you have problems. Best wishes for you and your pet.

Last edited:

Overmind

Reaction score
WTG! Let's hope it's a false alarm. Keep me posted if you can.

Reaction score
Just got back from the vet. They took some skin samples and tested for a fungal/bacterial infection. There is a little bit of fungus still left over from the previous incident and told me to just continue with the salt baths for another week or so. As for the bacterial infection, they said there doesn't appear to be any more than the natural amount. However, they gave him an injection just in case and told me that he should be on his way to recovery! :) But no explanation for the red dots.. Hmmm.

Overmind

Reaction score
What did the vet say when you asked about the red spots? Or did you forget to ask? Sometimes I do that kind of thing.
What's next? Will you bring the little guy back in after a week?

Reaction score
I asked and honestly, they said they weren't exactly sure... The vet said it could just be his skin pigmentations changing (although I was doubtful when she said this), but I didn't exactly tell her I didn't think that was it. She didn't seem too concerned as the tests came back pretty normal. She gave my axie the injection "just in case" (her words), but no real explanation for the dots. I was also told that in the case that the dots do get worse, or he starts showing signs of distress (floating, not eating, etc.) then to bring him back in to do a more thorough examination. They didn't want to put him under too much stress if it was avoidable or unnecessary at this point.. and that's all I was really told.

Overmind

Reaction score
Cool. Sounds like things are coming along nicely. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Salt baths? My vet doesn't use them for axies, but acknowledges that it is a commonly accepted treatment. Just use caution. But an antibiotic injection should be powerful enough, right? What was your vibe about the vet? Did you like her? Did she seem to know her stuff? If so, go with her advice. If not, there's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.

Well, I'm really happy to hear this good news. It's so scary when pets get sick--especially aquatic ones and reptiles. They hide their illnesses until the last minute, ya know? Then we have to scramble to figure out what's wrong, what to do, where to go, etc. LOL Anyway, keep me posted, if you have time.

Reaction score
He seems to be getting a lot better and his skin is clearing up! :) He has such beautiful lush gills, I was so worried that the fungus would ruin them, but the fungus is all gone and they're still as beautiful as ever! I have still only been doing 2 salt baths a day for 15 minutes (30 total). I don't want to put him under unnecessary stress and besides, he's a lot better! The vet seemed alright, other than the iffyness I got from the recommended 30 minute salt bath and the unknowingness about the red dots.. Still, I think the injection she gave him might of helped, which I'm happy about. I decided to read up on some bacterial treatments that are supposed to be toxic/deadly to axolotls before taking Toothless to the vet and considering he's still here, she obviously knew what to use!

And yes, it is scary when one day your pet looks fine and the next day it could look like it's just barely hanging on :( I guess that's why it's always better to get medical help sooner rather than later (obviously)!

I'm just glad he looks so much better!

Overmind

Reaction score
WTG, Toothless! I can hear his roar all the way over here. :lol:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1