Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How to breed?

Alonyamin

Reaction score
Hi :)
I'm currently raising 4 axolotls in my tank.
2 female and 2 male,and in my opinion they are big enough to mate (all of them are 8,+ inch)
And the females are very big ?
So if you folks have any tips on how can I breed them I'll be happy to hear about it.

auntiejude

Reaction score
First of all, what are you going to do with all the babies? Have you sought out pet stores of other hobbyists to take them? Are you aware that axies lay 1000 eggs at a time? Are you prepared to do daily water changes and brineshrimp hatching?

I'm not trying to put you off, but you need to do some reading.

As far as 'making' them breed you just need to let nature take it's course. They won't breed if it's too hot or too cold or if the water quality is off, so keep your tank clean and cool and you might be lucky.

Montdepilate

Reaction score
Both parents have to be ready. Sometimes a drop in temp will trigger the male. Some females take a while though. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1