Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axxie ate a lot of sand

joebot97

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a leucistic axolotl I've owned for about two months now and he's been doing pretty well. Recently, though, I had to leave the dorms and had my roommate feeding him and changing his ice (which keeps the tank at about 62*) but when I got back I found out they'd done neither of those things. He'd gone about a week without eating and the temp was about 70/72*.

I added ice and gave him some bloodworms to eat and he seemed to do a lot better for a little while, but when I got back from classes today he had gone from his usual lively pink to kind of a sickly pale color, and his usual red flashy gills were barely skin tone. He's moving a lot more sluggishly too and mostly staying in one spot, which usually he's very active and likes to beg at the glass for food.

When I fed him yesterday, he was so excited to finally get to eat (and I fed him quite a bit more than I typically do) that I think he swallowed up a whooolle ton of sand and didn't spit it out. His belly has kind of a shadowy shape I can see through the skin.

I'm assuming it's okay and he'll pass the sand on his own. Usually he has no problems at all. He's about eight inches and the sand is super fine grain.

tl;dr
My axxie got excited and ate a lot of sand and is acting sickly, should I be doing anything?

Hannahlotl2987

Reaction score
I found out that my axie was eating sand constantly. One day he threw it up and I decided on bare bottomed tanks ever since. HOWEVER, before he threw up he had been passing the sand consistently.
I'm sure it'll pass but I'm not exactly an expert and every owner is different. Mine was always full before when his tank had sand. Now he's always hungry. Hope this helps.

Ariel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1