Introducing Axolotls

Tee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tee
Hello!

I'm a new axolotl mom and I've had my leucistic axolotl, Anyu, for about two months now. I love him so much he is the cutest! I am getting him a bigger tank in about a week (a 20 gallon) and I was considering getting him a girlfriend.

My question is what is the best method to introduce axolotls to each other?

Also, I really want a female since I already have a male; will they definitely breed or can males and females live together without me having to worry about grandchildren?

Thanks guys! :rofl:

As long as there's enough space, not a huge size difference, and plenty of food/hides/etc I've never had trouble just popping them in with each other. If you're hesitant to do that, then you can always use a tank divider first.

I have never introduced any axolotls but I plan to. But like the other person said. You should get a divider to start. I bought a divider because I was worried the two babies I got in march were going to take each others limbs off. But they were good with each other and still to this day. With breeding.., they will breed and breed fast. Hundreds of eggs at a time. That's one thing I'm not committed to dealing with so I have all males and planning for another male. I just hope they don't fight with the new one. I guess ill be putting up that divider I didn't have to use when I first got my two.

i was in the same situation a while back. When i ordered my second axolotl he/she turned out to be slightly smaller than i expected so we started with a tank divider. If i remember correctly they have been separated by a divider for almost a month now and just today about 30 min ago i decided that it was time to remove the divider. So far so good, no missing limbs. My mom said when im at school she would always see them looking at each other from across the divider and following each other so i think a month for them to get to know each other is not a bad idea. just make sure to supervise the first week or so very very closely. if u see ANY aggressive behavior put the divider back immediately. yes axolotls can grow back limbs but whats the point of putting them through that pain if its avoidable.

Also unless u buy a fully grow axolotl u really dont know the sex of the animal. U think u have a female and woop in a short amount of time a bump grows and it turns out to be a male. Also if u are fairly new to axolotl care i recommend u wait to breed your axies. Taking care of baby axies is ALOT ALOT ALOT of work. they eat like crazy, require constant water changes , need a constant live food supply etc. plus its hard to take care of alot at once especially if u are really new to the hobby so that means u will have to freeze more eggs than u would have to maybe in a year.

premature breeding can stunt the growth of your female because its so taxing on the body. over all i would say feel free to get a second axie but i dont think its a good idea to specifically try to get a certain gender. When u want to breed them after they are fully grown maybe at a year or two, then you could get a fully grown male from a breeder or trade etc.

good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back