Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fertilized Substrate

JustKenna

Reaction score
I know you can't put fertilizer in the water of an axolotl tank but can you put fertilized substrate under the sand in your tank or is that bad too? A couple of my plants have turned a little brown and I just want to perk them up a bit. If I can't put the fertilized substrate in with my axie I plan to just put my plants in a fertilized fish tank for a few days/weeks.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
They should have plenty of fertilizer from the axolotl waste. Adding fertilizer will goof up your water quality. Maybe they are plants that won't work with axolotls.

JustKenna

Reaction score
I just have a 30 inch 20 watt florescent aquarium light and the plants I have that are a little brown are dwarf sagittaria subulata, cryptocoryne wendtii green, and vallisneria nana. I also have Anacharis but it's doing great.

Cacique

Reaction score
Since your axie should be supplying enough fertilizer, it could be the lights. You could try raising or lowering the lights. Another option could be to try adding a bit more light but that would cost more. It seems like most issues with the plants are either nutrients or too much or not enough light, so I would start with the lights.

keiko

Reaction score
You don't really want to add too much light either because of your axolotls.

Cacique

Reaction score
Sorry for not pointing out what Keiko did, I can't believe it slipped my mind.

You could attach the plants to suction cups, or put them in the little rubber plant baskets they're sold in so much and attach that to a suction up and get it higher in the tank so the plant can get more light if it needs to. If there's too much light and you can't or don't want to raise it you could add some floaters like frogbit or dwarf water lettuce.

Slongo

Reaction score
Have you tried a walstad/el natural tank? PM for more info if you've never heard of them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1