Pet stores know nothing....

DragonGirl

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I went to the petstore today to look for pellets to feed my axo, and when I couldn't find any carnivore/massivore pellets at all, I went to ask one of the employees for help. I explained to him that I had an axolotl, and upon seeing his somewhat confused expression I said it was basically a fully aquatic amphibian. He then began trying to convince me I could get this food and just put it on land, because the axo would have to come onto land eventually. After all amphibians need to be on land 50% of the time. I ended up arguing with him for a few minutes and not really getting anywhere besides him essentially implying I was abusing my pet.

I understand that not that many people have heard of Axolotls or know that much about them, but is it so hard for him to admit that he hadn't heard of them and wasn't quite sure what they had that he would like? Also, is it so hard to believe that there is an amphibian that lives its whole life underwater?

Anyway, thats my rant for today. I probably shouldn't have expected much better from that store since all their bettas looked like they were sick or had been biting their tails, and every fish i've ever gotten from them have died within a day or two, but still.

I know the feeling.

Stuart

Tell us something we didn't know.....lol!

Your average LFS has no idea about anything other than fish, thats why so many of us go out of our way to find stores that do - they are few and far betweeen but they are out there.

TBH your local bait shop is a better bet for food - fresh worms are readily available and pretty cheap.

It's kind of weird that he pushed so hard about amphibians coming on land when they sell fully aquatic African dwarf frogs in their fish section. Employees are given limited training beyond very basic care for the more usual pets. Ask about anything weird like most amphibians, reptiles, or anything about different water for different fish and they usually won't know. Also pellet food is easier buying in bulk online.

Most pet stores are a truly sad place....at one of my local pet stores there are six or more turtles of different species in a 100 gallon tank at best, and two of the three species are illegal in the state! Plus there is another pet store that has illegal African dwarf frogs. Come on....

Actually though, one of the pet stores ( the second one ) takes pretty good care of their Bombina orientalis. I just bought three yesterday, they are CB and are kept in surprisingly good conditions, other than a bit of overcrowding. Plus I got them for an amazingly good deal....

Sadly most of the pet shops out there know nothing about axolotls. I got very lucky when I first started looking for an axolotl. I went to a local pet shop only to ask if it was possible to get one from them when my tank was finished. The guy there immediately told me not to order one from them and gave me the information of a local breeder instead.

I guess I'm lucky! My LFS (not a chain store) has an expert on every animal they sell! (Fish, Reptiles, Amphibian, Snakes, Birds, and recently, Axolotls) With anything you ask they always have the True answer. Their axolotls looks amazing in the barebottom 10g aquariums. Id recommend at least walking into this store if you are near Southern Indiana.

It's not just axolotls. Most pet shops employees are poorly informed on the majority of species they sell. You need to research the species before you buy, so you know incorrect information when you hear it. I have heard lots of incorrect info in the stores around here, some about pretty basic care, like selling brackish fish as freshwater, misidentified species, etc. There's a big difference in tank requirements for a fish that grows to 5" vs 17". I get annoyed with all the tiny baby fish they sell, also. Do they mention that the 2" red tailed catfish you just bought can grow to 5 feet long? I don't think pet shops should even carry those species, but that's a rant for another day. If you want a fish for a swimming pool, you should at least have to special order it. There is one hobbyist with a shop out of his house that actually cares about the animals he sells, but I feel it's a rare situation. Most places are in it for a profit. Here's a red tailed catfish, which I regularly see offered for sale at one of the local fish stores. It'll be fine in a 30 gallon tank, right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 362
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back