Filter

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Which type of filter is thebest for an axie tank? I know there are pros and cons but right now I have an internal water fall filter, with a set up so that the water is dispersed so there is not a strong current.. However, I want to get a bigger tank and change the layout so I thought I should get a new filter as well. Which one is best recommended for an axolotl tank? Preferably one that is quiet and does not cause a strong current.. I've heard that Zoo Med canister filters are good. Opinions? (I want to get a tank, roughly 10-20 gallons, haven't decided). Also, what are some opinions on adding friendly bacteria to the tank?

Thanks! :)

I prefer external canister filters, because there is usually more room for filter media and you can place the intake and output anywhere you want to in the tank for best filtration and less water current. I have an Eheim filter that is very quiet, the only noise comes from the water going back in the tank if the output isn't under water.
I'd recommend getting at least a 20 gallon long for your axie. I know 10 gallons is often said to be the minimum, but I think that is way too small. Axies can grow to over 30 cm so they would barely have room to turn around in a 10 gallon. In my experience they will use all the space you give them so the bigger the better.
Don't use any of those bottled bacteria stuff. Most of the time they're a waste of money and the chemicals in them can burn your axies' skin. The best is to just do fishless cycling and possibly add some used filter media in the new filter to speed up the cycling a bit.

I recently got Eheim "Classic" canister filters for my axolotl tanks. I particularly like them since the water intake is at the bottom of the canister, so the sand that inevitably gets sucked in the intake accumulates at the bottom of the canister and doesn't clog the media. It came with a spray bar, so I have the outflow diffused by spraying against the aquarium side.

The down sides: More "construction" is required than more modern canister filters and the instructions are not detailed enough, but if you are already familiar with how such equipment works, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. I can tell that some of the parts are a breaking risk (like the hard plastic elbow at the bottom inlet), so make sure the canister is in a protected location. Changing the media is a bit more of a pain than more modern canister filters.

Despite the down sides listed, I am happy with these filters, and prefer them over the Fluval canister I have for one of the fish tanks.

It really depends on your preference. I've had the older eheim classic models (they haven't really changed much) and it was good for my large fish tank with goldfish and an oscar. I also had a marine land magnum 350 canister that worked but was too much work and messy to deal with. Canisters are good at providing water flow through media that houses your beneficial bacteria without running the risk of drying out like the waterfall filters have. The worst sound ever is after a power outage hearing the HOB filters try to start again without enough water. Another problem with a lot of these mechanical filters is they can hear up the water slightly. It's not always the case but my magnum 350 would heat up the water about 1 degree. Not terrible but if you're on the edge of acceptable axolotl temps it can be annoying. If I had fish in a larger tank id use a canister but axolotls produce sense waste that was never picked up by the canister. So even with the canister I was having to do daily cleanups after them. I tossed the canister and now mostly use sponge filters. All the bio filtration I need and little to no maintenance issues or heat problems. I still do daily cleaning but I don't have to deal with monthly canister maintenance. It really comes down to preference.

I read on Caudata Culture Articles - Filters that sponge filters only provide mechanical filtration. I guess this is not true? I'm in Canada, so it's very easy to keep my axolotl tank between 18-19 degrees Celsius! If the thing about sponge filters only providing mechanical filtration is not true, then it sounds like they'd be pretty reasonable.. Thanks!

There are three main types of filtration biological, mechanical, and chemical. Biological is the most important because it uses beneficial bacteria to convert harmful nitrogenous waste into less harmful forms (ammonia(bad)->nitrite(bad)->nitrate(meh)). Mechanical filtration is the removal of suspended particles in the water mostly by just sucking stuff into the intake like a vacuum. Different grade filter pads will remove smaller particles and keep the water column clearer. Most fish produce waste that is easily picked up by mechanical filtration but I've found an axolotl produces too dense waste that most times just sits at the bottom. Chemical filtration would be using things like purigen or other specific media to chemically remove or bind to certain things and isn't really practical in a freshwater setting because replacing the media can get a little pricey and figuring out what to remove can get a little involved. Mechanical filtration often goes hand in hand with bio filtration since the bio filtration will establish wherever the media is located. The website is wrong because sponge filters provide excellent bio filtration and limited mechanical. The bacteria needed colonize on the sponge and the limited suction pulls a little waste but not much.
Canister filters do provide both bio and mech filtration but bio is the more important filtration.

Sponge filters do provide good biofiltration, but very little mechanical filtration. I prefer them for smaller tanks, especially since you can keep one running (and cycled) in a larger tank and then move it to the smaller tank when needed - instant cycled tank. (Caveat - you still need to check ammonia etc in both tanks afterwards for a bit to make sure the filters are up to the required load in the new configuration.) Sponge filters are a bit noisier (both the bubbles and the air pump.)

yes, they work for any size tank really. The bigger the tank, the bigger the sponge.

If a tank is long then I'd put in two sponge filters - one in each end - for better filtration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back