Size does matter!

NASHJP

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
JOHN
Hi Everyone,

I have raised 9 axolotl from eggs [February-ish] and would like to know how they should be progressing in terms of size and dietary requirements etc.

My brood are all roughly the same size ~6.5" [16.5 cm] except for the only named one - 'Carnivore' - which is closer to 7.5" [19 cm] - it got a headstart on his tank-mates by eating some of them in preference to the supplied bloodworms! They all appear healthy and have comparable head/belly widths.

I feed daily - a mixture of Dendrobaena worms and 'tablets'. There is never any food left after just a few minutes which makes me think that perhaps I should be feeding more.
At this stage I estimate each gets a total of 2g of live worms together with 1.5g of tablets per week.

Your opinions would be much appreciated.

CHEERS!

John

Feed your axies whatever they will eat in about 10-15 minutes, it doesn't matter how much they eat really, but if they are finishing their food I would increase the amount.

What 'tablets' are you using?

6.5" is not very big for 10 months old, but all axies are different.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The 'tablets' that they are currently eating were supplied by Pollywog and are called Axolotl/Newt semi-moist sinking pellets. I've also used some similar from another source which are harder and more round tablet looking. My supplies are actually running low so if you could suggest an alternative I'll follow it up.

What size would you expect axolotl to be at 10, 12 and 14 months? I will increase the worm intake as well as the tablet/pellets as suggested.

CHEERS!

John

Pollywog pellets are fine (pellets, not tablets!) but worms are best. It's virtually impossible to overfeed a growing juvie, but adults will get fat with too much food. Mine eat 2 or 3 worms for a growing juvie, 1 for an adult.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back