Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl throwing up?

Fishtank1

Reaction score
I have had my 2 axolotls for 10 months. I noticed a few days ago both of their gills were turning purple. I did searching and found people saying it could be from reaching maturity and ready to mate. I don't know if it was true or not. Or something with circulation and blood vessels.

I took them out for normal feeding and did a full water change and slime and condition the water like I usually do. I notice after a long while of their feeding there were still a large amount of worms which normally would be gone. So I just thought they weren't hungry so I put them back in the tank covered and left the room.

Later I found one floating. So I quickly googled to see what it could be before I put him in the refrigerator. People mentioned gas. Someone said put gassy axolotls in the refrigerator for five hours. I just decided to put them both outside so they can get a faster temperature change. I waited maybe 3 hours and checked. There were whole bloodworms like if they were feeding again. So I thought maybe they didn't pass digestion. So I bought them in and put the slower one in the tank but still holding him in my hand. I found the one with red stuff (at the time I didn't know it was worms ) coming out of his mouth. so I rubbed him and he started throwing up red like if it were blood. Then I'd see bits of worms. I put him back in the cold water and started rubbing him again and lots of worms came out. This is about 10-11 hours after feeding. I started to think maybe he's been choking. The reason why he was/is floating. After rubbing and emptying what I could because he stopped opening his mouth for me. He seemed to gain strength. And pull away from me and swim fast to the bottom. After 10-15 mins he's back at the top with his arms spread wide.

I don't know what else so do for him to try to keep him alive.I grew him from 4 weeks old. It would be sad to see him go. If anyone knows anything that can help please share. Thanks

LSuzuki

Reaction score
OK, I'm rather new at axolotls, so I don't know the specifics about what could be wrong with your axolotls, but in general (this is true of fish and axolotls) fast temperature/water condition changes and excessive handling stress your axolotl a great deal. So I recommend not doing anything more (unless you find something critically wrong with your water conditions) until some of the more knowledgeable people can give you some advice.

Meanwhile, let me ask some of the important questions ... What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? What temperature is your tank at? What substrate do you have in the tank? Has anything changed in the tank recently?

I hope your axolotls get better. Hang in there. It is very frustrating to have a sick axolotl and not know what to do about it.

Fishtank1

Reaction score
Yea i know of the stress/ shock with fish that can cause death. But he was doing worse before i did the temperature change. His tank now is about 50 or so .I put them in at their tank temperature then outside. It was windy out so I thought it would help and I think checking him out today that it contributed to better health. I don't have a test for nitrates i have my ph its at 7.6 I know neutral is 7.0 but as long as its not down to any yellow 6.s then I feel that's ok. I have done the same routine since they were 4 weeks they are 10 months nothing new just a bigger water change than I normally do because I saw the gills. I thought it was maybe the water. Even though I have done nothing now with the routine. I take then out in large Tupperware to eat every time so there's no lost food and I net their poop. I have fine sand for substrate. Has been there since they were 4 weeks.

After all I did last night he seems better though. He was resting at the bottom with the other tankmate and moving freely to corners to sleep like he normally does. So ill see later in the day how he's doing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1