Illness/Sickness: White spots on my axolotl

BethSLW

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
Bethan
Need help, white spots on my axolotl dont know if its serious

I have had my axolotls for a few months now and they had tiny white dots when i had them but they've started to grow bigger in the last few weeks. I took him to the vets and she gave me antibiotic injections to give him which i did and also told me to put aquarium salt in the tank so i did but they just got bigger. I am worried now and even more worried because the vet had never even seen an axolotl before! I need help and advice please?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 4,733
Well i got the same thing and my axie was fine without any treatment. Yes it did grow and I think it was just apart of its color. PHOTOS ON BOTTOM ARE MINE!
My axie is a melanoid though and is yours wild? Here are some photos from: http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm \
melanoid_and_wildtype_females_1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2670 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2670 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,429
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 669
Great thanks :) just wanted to know if it was something to worry about, i was told they're wild type they might be melanoid, o will have to look into it

Your axies are both wildtypes, the 'white spots' are iridophores - part of their natural colouring - so you are trying to 'cure' freckles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back