Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello

jojames

Reaction score
Hi my son wanted an axolotl for his 8th birthday which was last month and so after extensive research we agreed. However we have had him for one month and now seems to be sick. I have been researching on this website, it is really helpful and have decided that perhaps the water was too warm and also we have work happening in our backyard which can be extremely noisy at times so have decided to fridge him. I had the local pet store check the water levels and all seemed OK so am hoping that fringing will help. I looked up how to fridge on Caudata so i think i have done all I can do. Is there any other advice for a new member? He was floating around at times but still eating.:confused:

Jen10s

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, what colour is your Axie and how big - can you post a photo?

Fridging is only necessary for impaction / constipation or if you can't maintain a constantly cool temperature for your little friend, preferably below 19 degrees which can be difficult in our Aussie summer. Look around on the forum, there are plenty of ideas on keeping your tank cool from fans blowing across the water to insulating with styrofoam or damp towels. A chiller is the best option but they are expensive so you might need to save up first.

Also, you probably should purchase your own water testing kit, as you should be testing regularly to monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrates along with your water changes. API make a good Freshwater Master kit which is recommended by most owners worldwide and costs around $60 ish maybe cheaper on ebay or somewhere like that.

Good luck keeping cool, so far summer's a scorcher :happy:

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1