Question? Does size matter?

A1ecia

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 5 axies that will be 2 months old on the 17th. They're fed bloodworms daily, tank is 18-20c they have gotten their back legs and all look healthy and happy to me however yesterday I got 2 more axies and when I asked how old they were I was told approximately 2 months but they're HUGE compared to the ones I have. My original 5 are maybe 1.5inchs but my new ones are 3-4" I've heard bloodworms are a good staple and I've also heard they're not. I've ordered pellets but They haven't arrived yet and I'm not sure my little ones are even big enough to eat them! They seem perfectly healthy to me and I wouldn't have had a concern had my new ones not been so big compared to these guys. Should I be concerned or do these things happen?

Keeping them together could end up with the smaller ones being food for the larger ones, or at least part of the smaller ones might become food for the larger ones. You could try feeding small earthworms to the smaller ones, it might help growth.

I do have them in separate tanks, I'll have to try earthworms too. Thank you!

Bloodworms are suitable for small axies, but not for bigger juvies and adults - thats probably where the confusion comes from.

All axies grow at different rates, much of it dependant on genetics, as well as nutrition.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back