New momma in Oregon

lalalory

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a wild type and luesistic color pair and lots of eggs, about a week old. what color will my babies be, how can I tell? Also, where do I find food for the babies around here? Don't really want to grow my own. I feed momma and daddy nightcrawlers, they like them best .

You will definitely have some wild types. You may have all wild types, depending what recessives the wild type has (or rather, doesn't have). Depending what recessives the parents each have, you could have just about any other combination of offspring.

To be anything other than a wild type, you need 2 recessive genes that affect an aspect of color. Your leucistic has two leucistic genes, so all of its children will have at least one leucistic gene. If the wild type also has a leucistic gene, then about 1/2 of the offspring will be leucistic.

If both of the parents have a recessive albino gene, then about 1/4 of the offspring will be albino. If they are also leucistic, then you probably won't see any iridophores or yellow color except on the head/along spine.

If you look at all the combinations you might get for different possible hidden recessives in the parents, you will see all sorts of non-intuitive outcomes can happen, such as all colors except leucistic (which would happen if both parents had one copy of all recessive genes, except the wild type didn't have a leucistic gene.)

So, bottom line on color, you will have wild types. You may have other colors too. (Isn't combinatorics fun? :happy:)

With respect to food for babies, the easiest really is to hatch baby brine shrimp (BBS). Stores don't carry live BBS, and your food has to be live for the first couple of weeks, since the babies only snap at moving food. Sometimes you can get other live food of suitably small size (such as daphnia), but you will have to hunt around for it, and might not find it even in a larger city. Don't be afraid of BBS - they are easy as long as you have fresh eggs and follow the instructions.

Do I order baby brine shrimp eggs online? Do you know if I get another male, will all three of them get along? I really want a bright orangish color axis with red gills :)

Do I order baby brine shrimp eggs online? Do you know if I get another male, will all three of them get along? I really want a bright orangish color axis with red gills :)

Yes, and yes! But I would deal with your egg/baby axie raising first. You may even get one in the batch that you are looking for. If you don't want to be forever removing eggs from the tank and raising babies, I would separate the pair you have too. Usually when axolotls start spawning, they get on a roll!
I recommend Brine Shrimp Direct .com for fresh, high hatch rate bbs eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back