Question: Combining Axolotls

drummondst

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am curious if it is safe to put my axolotls in the same area again.

I have two axolotls both are around 3 years old. I used to have them in the same tank but then I had an issue and one ate the arm of the other. Since then I have had them in the same tank but separated with a well separator. I was thinking about trying to let me get together again but I wasn't sure if they would just attack each other again. They are about the same length ~1/2 inch difference.

I'd give it a shot.
The two big rules for keeping axolotls together is food and space. If they're stuffed, they won't be as hungry snappy. And they need enough room to avoid each other if they feel like it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back