Live foods

Nachtmare

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Trenton
So I know I have asked a couple of times but I wanna double check before I try anything. I am wanting to give my lotls a live treat as a little Christmas present.:D From what most people say ghost/cherry shrimp would be ok.

My question is if and when I do get them should I quarentine them for awhile?

What if they are in a tank just full of ghost/cherry shrimp would I still need to quarentine them?

Also any other suggestions to make them as safe as possible for my lotls to eat?

Thanks again

I've seen videos and read of ghost shrimp attacking betta fish, and seen videos of them tearing apart live RCS, so I would advice to go with the RCS over the ghost shrimp. If you still want the ghost shrimp, examine them closely to make sure they don't have pincers. From what I've read you don't have to quarantine them, but you should drip acclimate them or something like that. Acclimate, if you can drain some water and acclimate again to dilute the old tank water. After that, just net them up and stick them in without letting any old tank water fall into your tank.

From what I've ready, any disease would be on the water, so you want to dilute it through acclimation and it seems like that should be it.

You should quarantine anything that goes into your tank (from plants to wood to live foods) for around 30 days to ensure your not adding anything harmful to your tank.
Either type of shrimp will be fine, just dont add too many at a time as the exoskeleton can sometimes cause digestive issues, other options are glass shrimp, blackworms, bloodworms, guppies, danios and white-cloud minnows.
But ultimatly axies dont need 'treats' as such, live earthworms cover all the dietary needs they have :D

I just recently heard about people having issues with the ghost shrimp attacking bettas (I just got a betta and was considering getting some ghost shrimp for him) but I do have about 7 (originally had more like 12 I think, but I think they may have been eaten as there hasn't been a trace of dead one...) in my axolotl tank and personally I've had no such issues, the shrimp are incredibly docile and keep a wide range from the lotls (I've had them in for over 2 months after a 2 week quarantine from the pet store).

The smallest shrimp is maybe a quarter inch while the largest is maybe a little over an inch, so it's hard for me to believe they could harm my 9 inch axolotls or my betta for that matter. Also they pretty much don't have any pinchers at all? if they do they're microscopic (and I have spent a LONG time staring at them, they're pretty interesting) and my lotls and their gills are in perfect condition.

Now, I don't know if I'm the exception to the rule but I only got them because other people on this site strongly suggested them (and because the pellets were making a mess which the shrimp have taken care of perfectly!).

Last edited:
That you all for your knowledge. I will take it all into consideration. One of the main reasons I want to have some shrimp is sometimes I am gone for a day or two. And I know they are fine without food but if something just happened to swim in from of their mouths I don't think they would mind.:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back