White spots/ fungus on Firebelly

landonewts

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a firebelly newt, Snoball, who is over 27 years old. She has developed white spots - fungus? - on her cheeks, and on one eye. It's hard to photograph her, but I have tried to get some pictures. I really want to help her - any ideas?

In mother thread, when I'm less worried, I will tell you stories of my two oldest newts, Fluffy and Snoball - but for now, please help me cure my little gal!

Thanks!

:cool:

Attachments

• Snoball1.jpg
    Snoball1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 365
  • Snoball2.jpg
    Snoball2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 441
  • Snoball3.jpg
    Snoball3.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 605
When I looked at one of your pictures in your album I saw that it had a bit of white on it in the same place, and that picture was put up in February. So I think maybe it has had this white area for a while but has been getting more noticeable? It is hard to tell from the pictures, but I don't think its fungus, and it doesn't look like a sore....I am not really sure what it is? Maybe it is just losing its color a bit?
Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

The spots have come and gone before, but they are back and aren't going away. I am concerned because she has a spot on her eye, and it looks like a fungus or skin condition rather than pigment loss. I have seen other posts about treating the water with some sort of leaf, but cannot find them now.

She is housed with a rough-skinned newt, and they have been together so long - almost 28 years and counting - I don't have the heart to separate them now, even though I now know species mixing is not advised. Could the toxins in the rough skin newt's skin be causing this?

Has anyone else seen something like this, and/or know how to treat it? I've had her for so long, I don't want to fail her.

If her environment and water conditions are correct it could just be a result of extreme old age. It's not a common symptom of anything I know of, it looks like a fungal infection of some kind if I had to guess. I think if she was mine I would take her to a vet and find out for sure, at least that way you would know if your other newts are likely to be at risk.
A good way of finding a vet experienced in treating exotics is call a regular vet and ask who they recommend.

Last edited:
Though, personally, I would separate the 2 different newt species.

I have gotten some good advice by emailing around. The first thing I'm trying is isolating this newt in a small, clean tank that is mostly land (the one she's in is mostly water) keep her super clean, and see if her fungus clears up in a week or so. Will keep you all posted, in case this is useful info.

Thanks for everyone's help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back