Spitting out earthworms

vivabaz00ka

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Samana
I recently ordered about 250 red wriggler worms for my axies. I have them in a bucket with peat moss and newspaper clippings. One of my axolotls has taken well to the new food source... the other has not. She ate one and seemed like she loved it. The next one she ate I later found at the bottom of the tank half digested (aka really gross). The rest I've tried to feed her she has spit out before swallowing. I have tried cutting them in half, as well as drowning them, and still have had no success. She's starting to get very skinny and I am worried. She has been eating bloodworms up until about a week ago... do I give in and feed her some just to make sure she doesn't snack on my other axie? Or should I go the tough route and wait it out?

wait it out. Also try blanching the worms first. Run them under really hot water until you see them stop moving then quickly put them in cold water.

Try not to wait too long, an axolotl might not want the worm either way. I tried to wait out my axolotl and he just kept losing weight and when he ate the red wrigglers he ate them with so much time in between he wouldn't stop losing weight. I had to put him back on pellets and was later able to get him on Canadian Nightcrawlers.

I, personally, have never come across an axolotl that would keep down red wigglers. They eat them initially only to spit them out 20 minutes later.

I feed my axolotls nightcrawlers with no issues. When they were juveniles I cut them into smaller pieces. Now that they are adults they swallow nightcrawlers whole.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back